First smoke on the new UDS. BBR pRon!

M

Mirage_Man

I finally finished build my UDS the other day. Today I did a test/seasoning run with it. Tomorrow I'm smoking baby back ribs for an Easter/B-day party. The original plan was for 15 racks but after some cancellations I'll only be smoking 12 racks. Still quite a big smoke for me. I'm starting this thread tonight as I start the process.

First a picture of the new UDS.

DSC_5969_sm.jpg

The rib racks I'll be using. The first is a rack that holds 8 made by Traeger. The second is one that holds 6. I can't remember who makes it.

DSC_5949_sm.jpg

DSC_5950_sm.jpg

Now on to prepping the ribs for tomorrow.

First here's a shot of the cryopacked ribs. We got them at Sams for $2.92/lb. Not too bad a deal I suppose.

DSC_5970_sm.jpg

Rinsed them and removed the membrane.

DSC_5986_sm.jpg

Slathered in mustard and ready for the rub. I'm using John Henry's Pecan rub on most of the racks. I also have spicier rub for the guys that like em hot on a few.

DSC_5993_sm.jpg

DSC_5992_sm.jpg

Coated nicely for their nap. Will apply more before they go in the smoke.

DSC_5996_sm.jpg

All rapped up and ready to go nighty night in the fridge :sleep: .

DSC_6001_sm.jpg

Whew! That was a lot of work.

More pics to follow as the journey continues....

Looking good... can't wait to see how the journey finishes

Good Luck! Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Wow, now that's a lot of good looking meat you got there. Hope it turns out well for ya.

Best of luck with your first smoke. Have a great holiday. Vince

great looking drum and good luck with maiden voyage

nice Drum.......and a very ambitious first smoke...........and fortunately the UDS is a great rib-machine! enjoy the cook, the Holiday........and the praise you will receive.

Well everyone it was a unbridled success! They came out fantastic. They may not have been the prettiest ever but given the fact I had to use ribs racks I think they look OK. As you can see a few of them got a little more done than others due to the difference in thickness but were still fantastic. I was able to achieve near rock steady temps during the entire smoke except when I first put them on. It took about 25 mins. to get the temp back up to 225 with the intake wide open. After that it was smoooooth sailing. I just want to thank all those that have taken the time to post how they built their UDS's. I drew from all of them and am very pleased with the results!

On to the pRon!

Here they are nestled in the racks.

DSC_6002_sm.jpg

DSC_6003_sm.jpg

Just out after 2.5 hrs. in the smoke. Man I need some grilling gloves so I can handle the meat without burning my fingers!

DSC_6023_sm.jpg

All wrapped up and then back in for 1.5 hrs.

DSC_6028_sm.jpg

And all finished resting for a few before getting devoured. As you can see I did not sauce them. I let everyone decide what sauce they wanted instead. Some like them naked too.

DSC_6046_sm.jpg

Here's a few cut and ready to eat! Man I need a sharper knife.

DSC_6047_sm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back