pulled pork

markbet

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I pulled up pulled pork in the search, and got 1100 hits. What I am trying to find out is, would do a boston butt on the smoker as I normally would, and just pull the meat apart afterwords, or is there a sauce of some sort that I would pour over the meat after I pull it. I tried looking in the recipe section, but I could not get it to pull up. A fast easy and good recipe is what I am looking for. This is going to be my weekend cook for me and the kid.

You don't have to have "special" sauce.

However, traditional east coast (read that as Carolina) bbq calls for a vinegar finishing sauce.

1 cup cider vinegar
2 tbls brown sugar
1 tbls salt
hot pepper flakes to taste (1/2 tsp to start, maybe) and/or cayenne
maybe tabasco to taste or crystal hot sauce.
All the "hot" is optional!!

Heat it up until the sugar and salt are melted.

It just adds another layer of flavor to the pork.

I pulled up pulled pork in the search, and got 1100 hits
Popular subject--Eh :lol:
Putting any sauce (or what kind of sauce) on it is your choice--simply pick your favorite!

As too making your own- I do not have any good recipies because I (like many of us) use shelf brands plain or with a bit of sweet, tang, or heat added sometimes. I actually prefer the adventure of trying various store brands. But, that is me.

You have done all the hard and fun stuff by cooking it correctly. So, just season to taste with no, a little, or a lot of your favorite finishing flavor.

Enjoy it.with the Kiddo :lol:
TIM

Easy way is to use a small amount of your favorite store bought sauce (or one you got in the sauce trade) and add in some apple cider vinegar. THat will really brighten up your meat. And the vinegar a little at a time though or you will end up with vinegar meat. Not good eats.

Now if you want to discuss making sauce from scratch, that's a whole nother topic.

DFLittle said:

However, traditional east coast (read that as Carolina) bbq calls for a vinegar finishing sauce.

1 cup cider vinegar
2 tbls brown sugar
1 tbls salt

Dammit Dave, you're making me hungry.......

That's a good sauce.

I generally like my sauce thick sweet and spicy but for pulled pork that sauce looks damn fine!

racer_81 said:
DFLittle said:

1 cup cider vinegar
2 tbls brown sugar
1 tbls salt

Dammit Dave, you're making me hungry.......

That's a good sauce.

Sounds good - but no oil to hold it all together?

Bigmista said:
Easy way is to use a small amount of your favorite store bought sauce (or one you got in the sauce trade) and add in some apple cider vinegar. THat will really brighten up your meat. And the vinegar a little at a time though or you will end up with vinegar meat. Not good eats.

Now if you want to discuss making sauce from scratch, that's a whole nother topic.

Recently, this is exactly what I have been putting on my pulled pork. I take a dab of store sauce, load vinegar in it with my butt rub spice mixture and warm. The result is a vinegar-ey sauce consistent with the taste of 'east carolina', but with just a bit of volume and color from the bottled barbeuce sauce.

For a more traditional vinegar sauce, DFLIttle's is almost exactly what I use.

No oil. It's a finishing sauce, not a table sauce. :D

Some places in the south you will find a shaker bottle on the table with a sauce similar to this - and its thin.

Kind of like the pepper vinegar you find down south - Yankees never know what to do with it. :D It's for the greens!! :mrgreen:

DFLittle said:

1 cup cider vinegar
2 tbls brown sugar
1 tbls salt

Great Carolina sauce, try Pure Maple syurp for half of the brown sugar.

DFLittle said:
Some places in the south you will find a shaker bottle on the table with a sauce similar to this - and its thin.

Kind of like the pepper vinegar you find down south - Yankees never know what to do with it. :D It's for the greens!! :mrgreen:

Cmon up to the bash and find out what the Yankees do with it :twisted: :shock: :D

I really like the Eastern Carolina stuff - just about like Dave said to make it. But I will also go along with Mista and G$... I've found that a lot of my guests when I serve pulled pork (what do they know about Q anyway?) like some doctored-up "store-bought" sauce. I melt some butter in a sauce pan (1/2 a stick or more), sweat some minced garlic in that for a bit, maybe some onion too, then pour in some of that Cattleman's sauce from Sam's and add a fair amount of cider vinegar. Can't help you with measurements, but it does taste pretty "vinegar-y". People seem to like it though!

Back