Shipping Q - need some help

watertowerbbq

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
OK, need some help.

I have a friend that lives in PA and long story short, he's going to be unemployed sometime in the near future. Anyway, he's a good guy and whenever we talk, we spend a couple of minutes talking Q. He always wants to know when his rib shipment is coming. :-D Anyway, as a way to say goodbye, I thought it would be nice to actually send him some Q.

I was thinking about cooking some pulled pork, freezing it and shipping it overnight mail to him. Ribs would also be a possiblity, but I figured the pulled pork would reheat better.

I've never shipped anything like this before and was hoping for some pointer's, everything from type of container to dry ice or whatever I need to do. Thanks in advance.

You could do what I did...

I want someone in Omaha, Nebraska to get some Que and contact one of our Brethren Members there. Sent some money and they cooked up a brisket and pulled pork for my friend to pick up there.

If you want to ship it, I'd vacuum seal, freeze and back with dry ice. It won't be cheap though.

I have shipped "Que" to family members, all around the US, especially as gifts or for special occasions. I vacuum seal and freeze the product, for a couple of days. I usually get insulated lunch bags from Walmart or Target and use the blue gel ice packs and the close the product and gel packs in another vacuum seal and then plastic wrap and into the insulated bag and then a box. I usually mail it overnight or two day air. Just need to let them know it it persihable. My family sends back the bags and gel packs, to keep the supply line running. Good luck.

I would suggest trying both Larry's and Max's methods. Have the Q shipped and delivered to me, and I will report back which was the prefered method. Anything for a brother you know...

A small styrofoam ice chest and some blocks of dry ice would work. My folks won a lobster dinner one time and that is how it came packaged.

When I was cooking for NASCAR I would ship the meat out to the races all the time...

The best way that I found was to cook, slice (optional), cryo-suck, and then freeze for at least 2 days (I keep my freezer at -20* just for this reason). At this point I also cryo-suck (just to draw out some of the air and double seal both ends ) a couple of bags of ice cubes and put them in the deep freezer.

When I'm ready to ship, I either use a cooler box (http://www.uline.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?model=S-9903) or if I can find a box/cooler combo that would work, I go with that (just remember to pack any open space between the box and cooler with crumpled news paper). Pack the cooler with both the meat and Ice cube bags and then fill any voids with more crumpled news paper.

I've found that I can ship it 2nd-day with out any real thawing.

Check with one of your local Dr's Office. They get samples sent to them in very thick styrofoam boxes on a regular basis. The foam is 2-3 inches thick. I used to trade Buckboard Bacon to my Dr. for foam boxes. I get dry ice from the local grocery store to put inside. I have shipped frozen sausage all over the US using this method. Oh yeah, like the other guys, vac pack all the meats.

NUTZ

When I was cooking for NASCAR I would ship the meat out to the races all the time...

The best way that I found was to cook, slice (optional), cryo-suck, and then freeze for at least 2 days (I keep my freezer at -20* just for this reason). At this point I also cryo-suck (just to draw out some of the air and double seal both ends ) a couple of bags of ice cubes and put them in the deep freezer.

When I'm ready to ship, I either use a cooler box (http://www.uline.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?model=S-9903) or if I can find a box/cooler combo that would work, I go with that (just remember to pack any open space between the box and cooler with crumpled news paper). Pack the cooler with both the meat and Ice cube bags and then fill any voids with more crumpled news paper.

I've found that I can ship it 2nd-day with out any real thawing.

What price range for that shipping

Check with one of your local Dr's Office. They get samples sent to them in very thick styrofoam boxes on a regular basis.

Yikes! Not sure I'd want to put food into boxes that were previously used to ship bodily fluids.

There's plenty of Brethren from the state of PA. I suggest Larry's method. That way you know it'll be done right and won't have to worry about how to ship.

Thanks a lot guys! I really appreciate the input. I found out today that he is going to be coming back here at least one more time. When I spoke with him today about something else, he told me the plan and then I let the cat out of the bag and told him what I was planning. He thought that sounded great! We decided that I'll cook up some pulled pork, freeze it and then he can take in on a small cooler on the plane back home.

Thanks again for the info guys. I knew you'd all come through. Thanks.

Back