Your Favorite Hot Dog

Grilled dog with Salami, Cheese, Mustard, and Old Man Charley's Brat Sauce:

8346581984_b35507ddb2_b.jpg

8346582054_29ea2d0ffd_b.jpg

I'm strange, I just don't really like the flavor of "good" beef franks like Nathan's, Hebrew National, etc. I can't stand cheap hotdogs with more poultry and fillers than pork, either. My favorite is a good ol' Oscar Mayer cooked on a stick over a fire with just a bun and a squirt of mustard. My late uncle brought down some Coney Island dogs from yankeeland once that were really good.

I'm strange, I just don't really like the flavor of "good" beef franks like Nathan's, Hebrew National, etc. I can't stand cheap hotdogs with more poultry and fillers than pork, either. My favorite is a good ol' Oscar Mayer cooked on a stick over a fire with just a bun and a squirt of mustard. My late uncle brought down some Coney Island dogs from yankeeland once that were really good.

I agree, tried both Nathans and Hebrew National's and don't see what all the fuss is about with them. To each his own I guess. I'll one up you on the ol' Oscar Mayer, gotta be sitting on the bank of a river or lake at night while jugging or trotlining for cats for the weekend.

Now thats how to eat a Oscar Mayer wiener.

Grilled dog with Salami, Cheese, Mustard, and Old Man Charley's Brat Sauce:

My mother used to make something similar when I was a kid. She would cut a slit in the hot dog and stick in a slice of american cheese, folded to fit, and then wrap the whole thing in bacon and cook in the oven until the bacon was done.

I haven't had that for a long time! Thanks for bringing back the memory!

Were those Sahlen's hot dogs?

Used to be a place up in Buffalo called Pat's. They grilled Sahlen's dogs over charcoal. Ate those whenever we would travel up to see family.

No, but I do get Sahlen's at our local Wegman's to fill in the gaps between shipments. Redlinski Butchers makes their own Frankfurters which is just a little better than the Sahlen's brand.

Yes Pat's is still in business in the Buffalo area. Pat's has many locations throughout Western New York, I always go to them when I visit relatives in the summer. Pat's does an outstanding job on their chargrilled dogs. Their foot longs are the best if you can eat a whole one.

I see you are from Maryland, if you have a Wegman's grocery store near you, you can ask them to bring in 3lb packs of Sahlen's in the spring and summer. They won't carry them in the fall and winter.

They go great with with the spicy "Vernor's Ginger Ale" (also available at Wegman's).

Both also available from Buffalo Foodsl

Wegmans Woodmore
9001 Mchugh Drive,
Lanham MD 20706

Wegmans Crofton
1413 South Main Chapel
Gambrills MD 21054

Thanks for the tip for the Redlinski franks. I may have to order some.

Yeah, there's a Wegman's up near where I work, the one you mentioned in Lanham. The smokehouse dogs they sell have collagen skins and just don't have the same snap the natural casing ones do. Redlinski's was the only place I knew of to get the natural skin Sahlen's dogs. I haven't asked Wegman's about a special order. Maybe they can get the natural skin ones.

Pat's closed up shop on Sheridan in 1983 or 1984. There's a Walgreens there now. Ted's is the chain hot dog place up there now. Haven't been back to Buffalo in a lot of years, and, truthfully, haven't had a Ted's dog. Char grilled Sahlen dogs are great!

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip for the Redlinski franks. I may have to order some.

Yeah, there's a Wegman's up near where I work, the one you mentioned in Lanham. The smokehouse dogs they sell have collagen skins and just don't have the same snap the natural casing ones do. Redlinski's was the only place I knew of to get the natural skin Sahlen's dogs. I haven't asked Wegman's about a special order. Maybe they can get the natural skin ones.

Pat's closed up shop on Sheridan in 1983 or 1984. There's a Walgreens there now. Ted's is the chain hot dog place up there now. Haven't been back to Buffalo in a lot of years, and, truthfully, haven't had a Ted's dog. Char grilled Sahlen dogs are great!

You are right, Pat's in Sheridan and also in Irving did close up, I was thinking of Ted's. Ted's has many locations, sorry for the confusion... Teds is just as great as Pat's was, and uses Sahlen's Dogs as well. Love those fresh cut curley fries too.

The Smokehouse Dogs are collagen casings, the natural casings are called Sahlen's Wieners..
http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10052&catalogId=10002&productId=388275

If you order from Redlinski, you should also try the Smoked Polish Sausage, real chunks of meat rather than the finely ground stuff you get elsewhere.

The best dogs in that area were made by Rudolph Frey, a German Sausage maker who settled in the Buffalo area. In about 2000 I think they were bought up by a competitor who I think was Wardinski's? The Frey's label disapeared as well as his quality products.

Thanks for bringing back the memories of that area.

Last edited:
I'm a Jersey boy, so I like my dogs Jersey-style - deep fried and covered with chili sauce. The best I ever had was a little joint called Clixie's back home. I heard they're closed now, which is a bummer.

I've never found a place out here in AZ that can nail that hot dog chili from back home, and I've never been able to duplicate it myself...I've tried too many times to count. Now I've become a big fan of a good all-beef dog with just a little mustard. I want to try my hand at making my own hot dogs next....and at some point try working on the chili again!

Best hot dog I ever had was in Nebraska. I had gone out for my buddy's wedding, and all the guys had gone out for a pseudo-bachelor party one night. We started at some guys house for some food and he made them...they were true red hots from a local butcher shop. No clue where exactly they came from but they were AWESOME. Nice bite, had a little spice to them, great flavor, mmmm mmmm mmmm....damn they were good! Probably ate 6 or 7 of them. Totally ruined my hot dog eating life. Kinda like the smokin' hot blonde you managed to bag one time by accident in college. You could never find her again because she mysteriously disappeared (or went into hiding because you had the opposite effect on her), but she changed the way you looked at things. She was so hot and so awesome that no one else could measure up to her...that was this hot dog. These days I settle for Nathan's and hanging out with my wife. Adding bacon and guacamole to them helps, but it will never be the same. :cry:

marcos-dog_zps9c1702d6.jpg

Sanoran Hot Dogs from Marcos food cart in Longmont CO.

The dog is wrapped in bacon, put on a bun and topped with pinto beans, tomato, onions, mexican crema, shredded cheese.

Very tasty.

Best hot dog I ever had was in Nebraska. I had gone out for my buddy's wedding, and all the guys had gone out for a pseudo-bachelor party one night. We started at some guys house for some food and he made them...they were true red hots from a local butcher shop. No clue where exactly they came from but they were AWESOME. Nice bite, had a little spice to them, great flavor, mmmm mmmm mmmm....damn they were good! Probably ate 6 or 7 of them. Totally ruined my hot dog eating life. Kinda like the smokin' hot blonde you managed to bag one time by accident in college. You could never find her again because she mysteriously disappeared (or went into hiding because you had the opposite effect on her), but she changed the way you looked at things. She was so hot and so awesome that no one else could measure up to her...that was this hot dog. These days I settle for Nathan's and hanging out with my wife. Adding bacon and guacamole to them helps, but it will never be the same. :cry:

Go take a cold shower:shock:

Okay...I LOVE hot dogs just about any way I can get them. I also travel a bit and there are a few places that offer some of the best dogs I've had.

I have trouble choosing my favorite Chicago dogs so I'm just going to list some of my favorite places to grab them.

Super Dog - Chicago, Il... You can get a basket of fries, an amazing Chicago dog, and a DELICIOUS pickled green tomato... 9 times out of 10 (if I'm not getting a sopping wet Italian beef sammy) this is the first thing I eat when I enter the Windy City..

Portillos - Chicago, Il... I know this is a franchise and some people frown on the big guys but the Maxwell St polish dog is soo good..

Vienna Beef Factory - Chicago, Il... If you don't atleast go here once while visiting, you're a dirty sinner.. Again, people might say, "why mention the big guys." Vienna Beef hot dogs (in general) ARE the Chicago hot dog.. Just go!

The interesting thing about Chicago is that I've not been upset with any of the vendors when it comes to a Chicago dog... If you didn't want to hunt any of these places down, you could just snag the first C-Dog you see.. It'll probably satisfy you.

Steve's Hot Dogs on the Hill - The Hill, St. Louis... This place is closer to home for me. If you're ever in St. Louis, you MUST visit the Hill and devour some of Gian Tony's fine Italian cuisine.. In this tiny Italian district you will find a spot that seems out of place-- Steve's Hot Dogs on the Hill... His chili dog almost made me cry it was so good.. He actually smokes his (Nathan's) hot dogs!

His chili dog is my personal favorite but virtually EVERYONE is there for his Gorilla Mac n Cheese Dog, which is piled high with mac n cheese, bacon, and those little crispy onions you put on green bean casserole! All of his dogs are nestled in a hoagie bun... You can even get salsiccia made right there on the Hill.. Do not even try to eat one of these hot dogs while driving.. You'll regret it..

While this may be a little over the top, this principle applies to BBQ as well. Everyonce in a while you get that glimpse of a unicorn and nothing is ever the same. I hate a to say it, but sometimes the best things ruin you for everything else..... but damn, that moment is fantastic!

I'll second the Sonoran dog. Best I've ever had was at Q-TO-U BBQ in Anthem, AZ. I believe their version is named the Hawg Dawg.

Joe....now sour cream really took it over the top and I will have to give a try..however it is hard to beat a good quaility dawg, grilled on wood / lump...fresh grilled roll, with simple fixxings....a beer...the ladies in / out a bikini at the pool...the summer sun...wow what a thought a great hot dawg brings...

Back