BBQ Brethren "BBQ PIZZA" Throwdown!

It's a shame that Caliking has no idea how to cook.

Fark! Looks like I am out of this one already

Compared to your cooks, that isn't far form the truth at all! :grin: But you know that the horse first out of the gates rarely wins...

Ya know, I was almost bought in to caliking's cook right until he showed his farkin' pool waaaaaaaaaay too many times. I still have a foot of snow on the ground and I am sure that is nothing compared to people further north. Oh well, enjoy the summer in Houston :thumb:

BTW, pies look mighty fine regardless. What is the trick to getting the dough so thin and even?
Well, the big blue thing in the yard definitely helps take the edge off the summer down here. But what I really dig about sunshine is the fact that I never have to shovel it off the driveway or scrape it off my windshield! :mrgreen:

I roll the crusts out with a rolling pin since I am not skilled enough to toss them or do them by hand. This pushes out a lot of the air or gas in the dough, but I'm happy with the end result.

Hey, that's not fair! Can you enter four pizzas? :mmph:

CD :becky:

4 pizzas? where? All I see is a winning TD entry :p

And the official entry for the Pizza Throwdown, and the proverbial money shot...

themoneyshotCustom_zpsbaa65bb5.jpg

Dean

Love how your crust came out. Did you like the flavor of the garlic, etc? i have not tried adding stuff into the crust yet. And those CI pans are pretty sweet as well.

Geez, what does it take for y'all to quit yammering and actually post a cook? :p

Well get ready to eat some humble pie... pizza pie that is, 'coz I'm about to throw some down! let's get this BBQ Pizza Throwdown rolling!

*** cue my theme music*** This is my official entry for the BBQ Pizza Throwdown. Did I say that right?

Finally found some tipo 00 flour locally, without having to pay an arma and a leg for it. So, Fri night I mixed up a batch of pizza dough (recipe from the Forno Bravo website) and let it ferment/rise in the refrigerator overnight.
IMAG1472_zpsf5dd46e4.jpg

Also marinated some turkey breast tenderloins in tandoori spices.
IMAG1474_zpsfea4fcdc.jpg

Next morning (Sat), the weather was beautiful! Perfect day for a throwdown cook. Fired up the eggs and some tunes, made a cup of coffee, and got to work.
IMAG1476_zpsf5f1b917.jpg

Started by grilling the tandoori turkey on the large egg.
IMAG1482_zps8ea3b634.jpg

Put the pizza stone in the large and let it come up to temp. Meanwhile, grilled some veggies for some of the pies on the small egg.
IMAG1486_zps82da3a66.jpg

The dough looked great after the overnight fermentation. Punched it down, let it rise again and rolled out 4 crusts. I used half the recipe from the Forno Bravo site and made four 10-11" pies.
IMAG1479_zps98b4a76a.jpg

IMAG1493_zps471a644d.jpg

Dressed the ladies up, and got ready to cook the pies.
IMAG1495_zps0633fa4a.jpg

Had to pause for hydration. The weather was spectacular. Like the new mod to my small egg? :-D
IMAG1496_zps5a06ee2e.jpg

IMAG1497_zpsafbf24ff.jpg

IMAG1498_zps6656e810.jpg

Pizzas were on for 5mins, spun around 180°, parchment paper removed, then another 5mins. I noticed that the tipo 00 doesn't brown like AP flour does. The crusts did get cracker-crispy though.

First up - Pizza Margherita - Tomatao sauce, mozz pearls, tomato, basil, garlic, dressed with EVOO.
IMAG1502_zps56d0f2a9.jpg

Second - grilled veggie medley - grilled veggies (poblano, yellow peppers, red peppers, green peppers, jalapenos, onions) and mushrooms.Dressed with pecorino romano cheese.Finished with ghost pepper salt which totally made this pie awesome.
IMAG1503_zps6984a8d8.jpg

Third - turkey pepperoni and grilled veggies, with red onions. Also dressed with pecorino romano and jalapeno slices. OOOPS!! ... I forgot to take a pic of this one. :doh: See below for a glimpse of a slice (top left corner).

Fourth (and last) - tandoori turkey! Also with grilled onions, peppers, and some left over ikra in the sauce from a while ago.
IMAG1509_zps9ef19090.jpg

And a side profile pic ( sorry for the blur - farkin phone autofocus picked the wrong part of the image to focus on):
IMAG1512_zps24356497.jpg

A sampler plate:
IMAG1511_zps0038a05f.jpg

The boys cooling down after a morning of cooking.
IMAG1514_zps33326f5c.jpg

I leave myself at the mercy of the Throwdown gods to select a picture as my entry for voting during this throwdown.

I had a wonderful Saturday morning, sitting by my cookers, drinking a few brews, and listening to some tunes. Much better therapy than a shrink!

Hope everyone else had a great weekend too!

i kinda hate you. :evil:

noooo, not really! nice cook!

*edit* oooh, sorry to quote the whole post. tried just one pool pic, can anyone fix?

But what I really dig about sunshine is the fact that I never have to shovel it off the driveway or scrape it off my windshield! :mrgreen:

Quite true. You just have to peel the burnt skin off of your skeleton when you finally run out of sweat.

I have tried to roll dough before but I guess I am just not letting it rest enough. Usually it just contracts and I can never get it that thin.

Love how your crust came out. Did you like the flavor of the garlic, etc? i have not tried adding stuff into the crust yet. And those CI pans are pretty sweet as well.

The crust was very tasty. The garlic and herbs adds just that little extra.

Quite true. You just have to peel the burnt skin off of your skeleton when you finally run out of sweat.

I have tried to roll dough before but I guess I am just not letting it rest enough. Usually it just contracts and I can never get it that thin.

That's why the extra melanin comes in handy.

My crusts would shrink alot when I first started rolling, and I would end up with thicker, smaller pies. Not bad to eat, but just thicker than I wanted and more bread-like.

I think someone on here advised to be liberal with the flour when rolling and that is what worked. So be generous with the flour when rolling them out. If they are shrinking back on you, just put a little more flour on the dough and keep trying to roll it. The dough should move freely and spin on the board when you roll it. I saw a guy at a pizza place rolling out pies, and there was TONS of flour on his steel table. If the dough shrinks back maybe leave that one rolled out to however far you got it and let rest a bit, maybe work on another one before going back to it. It wil eventually work out.

I would really like to be able to toss or shape the crusts by hand, but I just figured out how to get the crusts so thin a few months ago. So I'm going to enjoy this for a little while before I start tinkering again!

Pig Honey Baby Back Rib Pizza

This is my official entry in the BBQ Pizza TD.

I loved deguerre's pig honey baby backs soooo much that I wanted that to be my first cook on the Cherry Bomb. Rubbed some baby backs with SM Sweet N Spicy and let them sit for a while. I also rubbed another rack of baby backs and one rack of spares with SM Cherry.

Aftersittingafewhours_zps6be85e41.jpg

BabybacksandStLouisSMCherry_zps6af767d6.jpg

Smoked them hot N fast...and they're ready to come off.

Ready_zpsab89eb3b.jpg

This rack was my favorite so I used it for the pizza.

Cooked_zps273a71ba.jpg

Man they looked so good!

Cutribs_zps5edc6031.jpg

Cut the meat off the bones.

pileofribmeat_zps21f608b1.jpg

Sorry, I did not make my own dough. I think I would have dropped after all the smoking and prep work. Pizza dough got a generous slather of EVOO then some small vine ripened tomatoes.

tomatoes_zpsd08ca471.jpg

Then some smoked gouda slices and the rib meat.

ribmeatadded_zpsbe67a848.jpg

Added some strips of red and green bell pepper and red onion then some shredded mozzarella on top of all that.

veggies_zpsf48177e2.jpg

mozzarella_zpse2ca2736.jpg

First I put the pepperoni, black olive and mushroom pizza on just to see how it would cook.

pepperoni_zps7731be38.jpg

It did really well but seemed like the smoker needed to be hotter to cook evenly. So deguerre opens the top and bottom vents all the way. But, that pan I had in there to catch the drips from the ribs, well he had added water to it in the hopes that the bottom of the crust wouldn't burn. Worked really well at first but with the vents wide open - NEVER do this with a pan full of grease and water! I put the rib pizza on and figured I'd check it at 10 minutes then suddenly the temp thingy I was using went to HHH. Yeah, the thermometoer on Cherry Bomb was broken when we put it on so I was using guerry's probe. We ran out so he could get the probe so it wouldn't be ruined. There were flames shooting out the bottom. Uh ooh. He opens the smoker - POOF, flames shoot up and catch his hair on fire. :shock: He immediately lets the top down and starts smacking his head to put the flames out - I helped. He closes the vents, opens it again and poof again but stayed back enough not to catch on fire again and quickly grabs the cast iron skillet, drops the top again and puts the pizza on the side tray and proclaims, "pizza's done". Here is what it looked like straight off Cherry Bomb - and boy didn't she live up to her name, she blew!

offthegrill_zps93584a1d.jpg

Cooling off a bit...

done-1_zps2c66c44e.jpg

Pizzas out of the CI skillets.

pizzas_zps4e051e9a.jpg

And finally, plated.

plated2_zps727dabb4.jpg

I'd like to use this one for the TD entry.

dramaticplate_zps0c4a25d9.jpg

Wow, what a day. :drama: I must say that the rib pizza turned out fantastic!!! I still have a lot to learn about Cherry bomb though.

^^^^^^ WOW! Can I say I'd like hit your pie.........PIZZA PIE! :-D

My daughter would never have let ANY of those black olives even MAKE it onto the pizza! She tears em up!

Despite the struggling with Cherry Bomb, it looks like you farking NAILED that pizza!:hungry:

Bravo, Michelle, and thanks for honoring our very first pizza TD by inaugurating your new red Akorn! :clap:

Doesn't get any better than that. :thumb:

I think I know. But I just can't post it here. Maybe over in the Penalty Box.

Red Hot those are excellent pizza great job. I'm a bit worried at what your next cook will be and what Guerry will do for an encore.
Remember the Trailer Park Grilling Scene from Bubba Ho-Tep?

Those ribs looked so darn good, and then the rib meat pizza pushed me over the edge. I'm not a olive person myself, but I'd happily snag a piece of that one too!

Wow, great cooks so far ... I'll have my entry up later. It didn't turn out exactly as I expected, but turned out amazing anyway

Back