BBQ Brethren "BBQ PIZZA" Throwdown!

Six pages of sheer lunacy and not a single entry yet....

Seems normal....

Biggy.. you back from the beer run yet. Did they have any Fosters???

Geez, what does it take for y'all to quit yammering and actually post a cook? :p

Well get ready to eat some humble pie... pizza pie that is, 'coz I'm about to throw some down! let's get this BBQ Pizza Throwdown rolling!

*** cue my theme music*** This is my official entry for the BBQ Pizza Throwdown. Did I say that right?

Finally found some tipo 00 flour locally, without having to pay an arma and a leg for it. So, Fri night I mixed up a batch of pizza dough (recipe from the Forno Bravo website) and let it ferment/rise in the refrigerator overnight.
IMAG1472_zpsf5dd46e4.jpg

Also marinated some turkey breast tenderloins in tandoori spices.
IMAG1474_zpsfea4fcdc.jpg

Next morning (Sat), the weather was beautiful! Perfect day for a throwdown cook. Fired up the eggs and some tunes, made a cup of coffee, and got to work.
IMAG1476_zpsf5f1b917.jpg

Started by grilling the tandoori turkey on the large egg.
IMAG1482_zps8ea3b634.jpg

Put the pizza stone in the large and let it come up to temp. Meanwhile, grilled some veggies for some of the pies on the small egg.
IMAG1486_zps82da3a66.jpg

The dough looked great after the overnight fermentation. Punched it down, let it rise again and rolled out 4 crusts. I used half the recipe from the Forno Bravo site and made four 10-11" pies.
IMAG1479_zps98b4a76a.jpg

IMAG1493_zps471a644d.jpg

Dressed the ladies up, and got ready to cook the pies.
IMAG1495_zps0633fa4a.jpg

Had to pause for hydration. The weather was spectacular. Like the new mod to my small egg? :-D
IMAG1496_zps5a06ee2e.jpg

IMAG1497_zpsafbf24ff.jpg

IMAG1498_zps6656e810.jpg

Pizzas were on for 5mins, spun around 180°, parchment paper removed, then another 5mins. I noticed that the tipo 00 doesn't brown like AP flour does. The crusts did get cracker-crispy though.

First up - Pizza Margherita - Tomatao sauce, mozz pearls, tomato, basil, garlic, dressed with EVOO.
IMAG1502_zps56d0f2a9.jpg

Second - grilled veggie medley - grilled veggies (poblano, yellow peppers, red peppers, green peppers, jalapenos, onions) and mushrooms.Dressed with pecorino romano cheese.Finished with ghost pepper salt which totally made this pie awesome.
IMAG1503_zps6984a8d8.jpg

Third - turkey pepperoni and grilled veggies, with red onions. Also dressed with pecorino romano and jalapeno slices. OOOPS!! ... I forgot to take a pic of this one. :doh: See below for a glimpse of a slice (top left corner).

Fourth (and last) - tandoori turkey! Also with grilled onions, peppers, and some left over ikra in the sauce from a while ago.
IMAG1509_zps9ef19090.jpg

And a side profile pic ( sorry for the blur - farkin phone autofocus picked the wrong part of the image to focus on):
IMAG1512_zps24356497.jpg

A sampler plate:
IMAG1511_zps0038a05f.jpg

The boys cooling down after a morning of cooking.
IMAG1514_zps33326f5c.jpg

I leave myself at the mercy of the Throwdown gods to select a picture as my entry for voting during this throwdown.

I had a wonderful Saturday morning, sitting by my cookers, drinking a few brews, and listening to some tunes. Much better therapy than a shrink!

Hope everyone else had a great weekend too!

It's a shame that Caliking has no idea how to cook.

Fark! Looks like I am out of this one already

Ya know, I was almost bought in to caliking's cook right until he showed his farkin' pool waaaaaaaaaay too many times. I still have a foot of snow on the ground and I am sure that is nothing compared to people further north. Oh well, enjoy the summer in Houston :thumb:

BTW, pies look mighty fine regardless. What is the trick to getting the dough so thin and even?

Nice pies and as for the pics of your pool................:mad2: I got over 30" on the ground with 16" more coming on Tuesday. Any more an I be grilling on the, farking, roof...:mmph: But, boy those are some great pizzas.

Here it comes. I thought I would step outside the box on this one, so here goes. Unfortunately mother nature decided to play a part in today's cooking.

Started with a basil, oregano, garlic pizza dough.

IMG_1166Custom_zpsd92a955b.jpg

After sitting for a few hours, it was time to get the show on the road.

I got the kid to make the filling for the deep dish pizza.

macncheeseCustom_zps98ae2429.jpg

While that was cooking, I got the grill on to get nice and hot and got out the dough. A little rolling and it was ready.

pizzadoughCustom_zpsd39fb658.jpg

Now for some of the filling. Some chopped Chorizo, sprinkling of parmesan and a little pepper jack cheese.

chorizapizzaCustom_zps4627b0d9.jpg

extracheeseCustom_zps5b53c2c2.jpg

readyforthegrillCustom_zpse99b32bb.jpg

Then it was time for the grill. Remember I said Mother Nature wanted in on the fun?

snowCustom_zps2cd7156c.jpg

almostdoneCustom_zps171fdcf0.jpg

After about 10 minutes on the grill it was time to bring it in. Well not thinking too clearly I grabbed my welding mitts, the one I use to pull hot stuff off the grill, and went out side. Well I certainly learned the folly of my ways, as they 400+ degree cast iron pans were really hot. Luckily it was only a minor burn to one finger. Lesson learned to grab my silicon slip on handle as well as the welding gloves for getting the hot stuff off the grill.

macncheesechorizopizzaCustom_zps5543b4f4.jpg

And the official entry for the Pizza Throwdown, and the proverbial money shot...

themoneyshotCustom_zpsbaa65bb5.jpg

It was delicious.

Thanks for looking.

Dean

A wet or moist welding gloves does very little to prevent heat. But, your sacrifice looks like it was worth it.

Back