Trial run before trying Tandoori chicken

Fwismoker

somebody shut me the fark up.
I didn't make any masala marinade yet but i wanted an idea of the texture i'd get with the slices and high heat.

I figured thighs would be a good test...next time maybe quarters. Nice spicy rub into the chicken.

I used the Jumbo mini because i know the stainless can handle the heat...put the chicken on about 510* and it cooked about 480*

If anyone thinks it needs it i'll add more lump next time and get it a tad hotter.

This is the end result. I liked the texture and juciness but since i haven't had tandoori ever i have no comparisons. I know the sauce should make it a different texture as well. Whatcha think?

Indirect high heat works great for poulty. I was at 375* but will have to play with 425* +.
Then you did think it was seared.. that's good because i think that's the consistency tandoori should be because it's normally cooked in 500-900* ovens.

Yea, I would have guessed it was reverse seared. Your chicken looks slightly better than my reverse seared "bbq fried chicken" from a few weeks ago

Yea not bad for a WSM clone eh?:heh:

No sear involved but the high heat indirect...suppose you can say high heat indirect sear. So it's the right texture heat wise to do the tandoori next

so does jimmy have a small water pan/diffuser ?
I figure that's what makes it "indirect" ?

lookin' good.

so does jimmy have a small water pan/diffuser ?
I figure that's what makes it "indirect" ?

lookin' good.

Indirect like a UDS or WSM with a diffuser. I have a holy pizza pan with smaller holes in there right now but a water pan could sit in there if wanted.

Then you did think it was seared.. that's good because i think that's the consistency tandoori should be because it's normally cooked in 500-900* ovens.

From what I was just reading, the yogurt used in the marinade takes on a flavor change when cooked at temps over 850F.

I need to try a side by side comparison using the tandoor oven and the mini-wsm at 500F and see if there is noticeable difference

Back