Chunky Bologna

Fatback Joe

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
At least that is what they called it on the DDD episode I watched recently. It sounded interesting so I thought I would give it a try. Of course there were no measurements given on the show, so I just took a swag based on how it looked as they were putting things together and figured I would tweak things from there if it seemed like anything messing with again.

Last butt of my freezer stash...

Klhh5SI.jpg

Cut up 1 lb of it and put it into a brine of sea salt, cure #1, white sugar, brown sugar and molasses.

AXUCN6O.jpg

Ran the rest of the butt through the grinder.

0oZzq0w.jpg

Kept 1 lb from the first grind back for the mixture and ran the rest of it through a smaller die.

rmwoYnN.jpg

Took 2 lbs of that for this project and bagged the rest for other uses. Gave the chunks 3 hours in the brine, then drained them and put the chunks with the 1 lb of coarse grind and 2 lbs of fine grind.

MsjBvLY.jpg

Added the following to the meat and gave it a mix.

2% Sea Salt
1% White Sugar
.25% Cure #1
.5% White Pepper
.5% Ginger
.4% Corriander
.4% Mustard Powder
.2% Mace

Gave that a spin until it looked like this........about 2 minutes.

S5SNPqO.jpg

Cased in a 3 7/8" collagen casing and let that chill overnight.

LQLZuqk.jpg

Next day was into the smoker @180 with cherry wood for the smoke until 150 IT

ZvpZ68I.jpg

Into an ice bath to stop the cooking and back into the fridge over night.

0tFWRBA.jpg

Cracked it open last night to see what I had

6E733Ka.jpg

The spices could use a little tweaking IMO, but my wife thought it was just about right as is. We both agreed that the texture was great and something worth doing again. All in all, pretty good outcome on this one.

Ooohhhhhh damn!

Cheap white bread, a thick slice of that bologna, a couple leaves of romaine, a thick slice of homegrown Cherokee purple, a squirt of yellow mustard a little salt and pepper, and another slice of cwb...

BAM!!

That looks fantastic!
Throw it across the Grill Grates for some nice sear marks....:grin:

Incredible! You should post the fried bologna sandwich pics too!!!

Now that's how bologna should be done.

How dare you call that Bologna. That looks to good to sell it so short. That could have been some High end German Bratwurst.

Three words escaped my lips but they are not Printable. Holy moly!

nom nom!

My lack of knowledge is gonna show, by why use the curing salt? I thought the #1 was for long cures, like corned beef. Couldn't you bypass it since it gets smoked the next day, anyway? Questions aside, it looks and sounds amazing. My wife would fight people for a slab of that.

#2 is more for long cures..........in the world of curing, corned beef is a pretty short term project. #1 in this case just brings that extra level of protection. I do think it adds a little in the flavor dept as well.

But to answer the question, yes, I believe you could bypass it in this case since it was done the next day and cooked to 140+.

My lack of knowledge is gonna show, by why use the curing salt? I thought the #1 was for long cures, like corned beef. Couldn't you bypass it since it gets smoked the next day, anyway? Questions aside, it looks and sounds amazing. My wife would fight people for a slab of that.

Last edited:
Back