Rod Gray new Announcement for 2010

Diva Q

is one Smokin' Farker
I did an article on the blog today about a Big announcement Rod has with using his Jambo for next year.

I met Rod a few years back now. I had read about him and seen him in action and wanted to learn more. I am one of the over 500 people he has taught along with Johnny Trigg for the Old School vs. New School BBQ cooking class. We travelled all the way from Barrie to Illinois for that class. It was worth it.
This year was Rod’s year. He has just this past weekend been named KCBS TOY (Team of the year) in an exciting race to the finish. It was a nail biter for sure. Going down to the very last competition in Tempe Arizona faced with two other teams hot on his heels ISS I Smell Smoke and Smokey D’s. Both pitmasters for those teams are well respected by Rod. He says it could have been anyone’s year. I have a lot of respect for Darren flying in finding his meat and rented vehicles and winning. They are both as deserving. I predicted in July that Darren would win it based on what he had done and caught on fire in the summer. As hot as he was I thought he would pull it off. He means it.
His dry sense of humour and wit resonate with anyone who talks with him. I have had the pleasure to have a few BBQ meals in Texas and talk with him outside of the realm of competition. He can make me crack up laughing till I cry with most conversations. His sarcastic comments have on more than one occasion sent me to giggling. However you can have a real serious conversation with him that gives you a small glimpse into the depth of his somewhat guarded character. He can seamlessly go
He extols the virtues of his beloved wife Sheri. He talks about how much she supports him in his BBQ career. I sort of think of him as a big BBQ brother. He looks out for his friends. He is always encouraging and continuously helpful. He also seems to have the memory of an elephant and can recall a lot of minute details. On his own personal plan for healthier living this year he let me know of his goals.
His motto now is there is no time to eat bad food and that he starts every day with breakfast. He recommends a couple of books that are helping him on his path: Eat this not that. One is for the grocery store and ones for those who eat out. I am so proud of him for being open and honest about his struggles. It’s not without his own notice that being on the Dr. OZ show was good for the brand of Pellet Envy. He is sharp as a whip. I don’t think much could get past him in any situation.

for more of the interview and announcement please click here.

Enjoyed the article Danielle. See you and your new pit in Lakeland Rod!

Maybe BBQ'ers Delight is looking for a new team to Sponsor. I'll volunteer.

Good luck in 2010 Rod.

Nice write up...

(I could/should add something about the virtues of a stick burner but I don't want to start a chit storm.)

Back