$299 Char-Griller Kamado First Looks

I ran across this version at Gander Mountain the other day. It's pretty much the same unit as the one sold at Lowes but it has a metal vent on top rather than plastic and GM wants $349.00 for it.

picture.php

picture.php

So these new kookers have metal shelves? My Red kooker is wooden. Also does the new grill have a cast top vent instead of stainless?

So these new kookers have metal shelves? My Red kooker is wooden. Also does the new grill have a cast top vent instead of stainless?
Mine, from Lowe's, has metal side shelves. I think the top vent is cast, not plastic.

Here's the only air leak I can find and it's a pretty big one too but I don't know how it could be sealed and still allow the damper to slide.
3-12-12001.jpg

Seasoned Grate

I seasoned my CI grate yesterday and today. Total of three cycles. Had to be real careful cause the temps wanted to soar, but it is now a nice shinny black! Hopefully non stick too.

She is slow to cool down but will eventually stop. Not too many leaks, and is about what I expected.

Grate.jpg

I hope to do a first cook on Thurs.

Hmm... I work at Lowe's and a customer just returned a Kamado only because they couldn't put it together. I have a chance to buy it on "clearance" if the wife lets me get another grill. I'm gonna talk to a manager and see what kind of deal I can get. Should I go for it?
Yes :clap2:

Here's the only air leak I can find and it's a pretty big one too but I don't know how it could be sealed and still allow the damper to slide.
3-12-12001.jpg

I'm looking at a fix for this too. I believe you will need to buy some of the Big Green Egg gasket felt from a BGE dealer. You will then remove the stop screw and slide that vent out and cut a small strip of the felt and fasten it in there to close up that gap. You will want to do it on both ends and possibly around the top and bottom edges also.

Just finished up my butt cook. Starting with a small amout of charcoal let me keep the heat at 225-230 for as long as I wanted which was about 2 hours. I opened the vents some and had it up to 240 where I let it ride for 4 1/2 more hours til the butt was 200 internal. Temp stayed pretty well but I did adjust the vents (by small amounts) a couple times. The dome therm ran 10 degrees cooler than the grate for a while but after I got it up to 240 they read about the same.
P1110193.jpg

Just finished up my butt cook. Starting with a small amout of charcoal let me keep the heat at 225-230 for as long as I wanted which was about 2 hours. I opened the vents some and had it up to 240 where I let it ride for 4 1/2 more hours til the butt was 200 internal. Temp stayed pretty well but I did adjust the vents (by small amounts) a couple times. The dome therm ran 10 degrees cooler than the grate for a while but after I got it up to 240 they read about the same.
P1110193.jpg
SWEEEEEET looking butt!!!! :clap2::thumb:

Hmm... I work at Lowe's and a customer just returned a Kamado only because they couldn't put it together. I have a chance to buy it on "clearance" if the wife lets me get another grill. I'm gonna talk to a manager and see what kind of deal I can get. Should I go for it?

NO you shouldn't! Just let me know where it is so I can dispose of it properly. :cool:

Back