Butt Questions

BuckSnort

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am thinking about trying my first butt fri/sat..The local market here seems to only have 5-6 lb'ers... Are these big enough and how long should they take on my UDS?

Also I mixed up a rub that I just love on ribs (brown sugar,kosher salt,chili powder,cayenne and other spices) would this be ok for a butt rub?

This will be feeding 4-7 people on sat.. I figure if I start them on Fri night I should be good....

It would depend on the temp. But assuming you go around 225-250 you should go about 10 hours. Maybe more maybe a little less. When it hits 195 or so, wrap it in foil and put it in a cooler wrapped in towels. It will stay hot for quite a while.
The rub sounds fine.

Sounds good, as Chipper said, about 10 hours give or take. I smoke 5 -6 lb butts regularly and they have been done in as little as 8 hours and as much as almost 12. I keep the temp at about 225.

5-6 lbs is fine to cook, on the rub just watch out for your temps so they dont get too high. The brown sugar should be good to go as long as you dont get too high on the temp. you may want to try sugar in the raw for the longer cooks. I would put the butts on and not even look at them for at least 5-6 hours by that time you should be etting close, remember though "Its done when its done"

Listen to Indiangriller and you will be ok. Start fat side down, flip after 4. Keep lid on and sealed. Run 200-220 on side gauge.

Don't fret too much about temps. I cook butts (and briskets) at 350* and they take around 5 hours. No difference in final product - just more sleep! Makes sense to cook at a lower temp if this is your first butt - but don't get too worried if you get temps above the holy 225* - they will just be done a bit sooner - and as long as you hold the butt at 140 or higher getting done too soon wont be a problem at all.

Thanks for help folks....I went back to the market but they wanted $14 for a 5 lb butt...seemed like alot of money so I bought ribs instead ...they were on sale ..

Thanks for help folks....I went back to the market but they wanted $14 for a 5 lb butt...seemed like alot of money so I bought ribs instead ...they were on sale ..

Butts are expensive in your part of the woods.Must be Prime Butts.:biggrin::biggrin:

.69 cents a pound here as Guerry pointed out! Got to be some cheaper butts around.

Back