smoking brined turkey

K

Kung Fu BBQ

I did this about two years ago, or maybe it was last year... yeah it was last year. I brined it following a recipe on the board and then stuck it in the smoker all day. I think I over cooked it. I had it in with a brisket and just pulled them at the same time.

13 pound bird, 12 hours in brine. Cooking at 225-250. what should my cook time be? I heard the brine accelerates the cooking process so I want to double check with the brain trust.

I think 225-250 is too low for poultry. I've got two birds in brine right now, and I'm planning on smoking them at 275-300 like I do chicken. I'm expecting my 12-13 pounders to be done in about 4 hours give or take.

Good luck, and happy thanksgiving!

thank you sir. that means I can sleep in. Cooked a brisket and butt today. Ate the brisket with the incoming family, saving the butt to eat with the turkey.

At 250, I've read plan on about 30 minutes a pound. Of course cook by temp, not time, but the 30 minutes per is to be used as a plan. Thus start an hour or so earlier then planned and cooler to hold.

Back