Advice/Question - All my meat tastes the same.

tb80

Take a breath!
Reaction score
So, I cooked some chicken thighs this evening. About an hour before cooking, I liberally rubbed them with three different rubs with very different flavor profiles (cajun/sweet/spicy). They all tasted great, but all tasted about the same. Has anyone else had this same problem? As in, no matter what rub you use, your meat turns out tasting the same. I have the same problem with grilling chicken breasts. Any suggests/thoughts?

they might have the same spice that stands out. i no longer use anything but salt and pepper with maybe some garlic. these enhance whatever you are cooking rather than overwhelming it. change things up and try again. you will eventually find what you like.

What are you cooking them over? I can't think of anything that would make the rubs all taste the same if they are all different. Especially if one is spicy. Are you sure you are putting enough of the rub on?

I am cooking over KBB. I generally cover them with a good amount of rub. One problem just may be my palate. I have a very unsophisticated palate.

Could you be over seasoning?
Maybe take a step back and restart using much less, then gradually add

Yeah you probably are crazy, but then who of us isn't? We did a thigh cook last weekend and used 4 different rubs just to see what was what. Everything was cooked on the same smoker and all the thighs got the same glaze. Except for the thighs that had the high salt rub, everything was very similar in taste. That tells me if you are going to sauce or glaze with something flavorful, the rub has a relatively small impact on the outcome.

I am cooking over KBB. I generally cover them with a good amount of rub. One problem just may be my palate. I have a very unsophisticated palate.

I was going to say that a factor in it may be your palate. Some people have very sensitive palates (me, for example) and others not (like my wife).

Also, if you're smoking the chicken a lot the smoke flavor may become predominant and just cover the chicken. Use only a very small amount of smoke, and then only sweet blue if you can.

What kind of glaze are you using? Could it be overpowering everything else?

Once you grow up you will come to appreciate the simplicity of Salt & Pepper

Not using a glaze and using no wood chunks/chips for smoke. It may just be my palate.

Bludawg - I am sorry you are so unhappy this morning that you felt the need to throw an insult with your post. I hope you have a good day.

I wonder if you are using spices that are too similar to detect the differences. Many commercial and home made rub recipes rely on a standard group of spices (paprika, chile powder, salt, pepper, celery seed, granulated garlic) such that the differences can be quite subtle. Sort of saying that with smoked meats, all red rubs will taste similar, all brown rubs will taste similar etc...

If you look at most rub recipes, you will see that similarity at work. Largely, they are all based on salt, black pepper and paprika, with a whack of cumin, celery seed, garlic thrown in. Something to consider.

Landarc- you may be right. I was using Gordon's Grub Rub, plowboy yardbird and ragin blaze Cajun seasoning. They taste distinct using a simple taste test of the rub only but maybe when they cook they just taste similar.

I think the smoke is messing up the flavor profile you are after. Do all 3 again in the oven this time, see what one you like best, then do it in the oven again using your favorite of the 3 and finish in the smoker for about 10 minutes. Slowly work your way out of the oven on any dish you cook that you want to add some smoke flavor to. I believe the oven is the starting point for all great recipes. Keep in mind smoke is just another seasoning and can be over or under done just like salt pepper or any spice or herb.

Back