THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B

Bob50j

Ok, I've done several fatties, but only with a rub on the outside. Any suggestions and tips for adding extras? I'm thinking cheese is always good, as well as jalapenos and/or onions, but I'd like to hear different views. I plan to make 4 different ones along with a few racks of ribs for the playoff games this weekend. Served with unusually large amounts of beer, this should make for some fairly good eats.

Also I tried this the other day (may be old hat to some, but new to me)
Jimmy Dean maple, coated in maple, then some rub (on the sweet side) and then put it on grands biscuits to eat, so amazing
tim

Bob, the only thing that limits what goes in a fattie is your imagination.
I like the following: Roasted red pepper strips, minced onion, minced garlic, minced chipotles in adobo, and string cheese.

You can try all kinds of things - scrambled eggs, shaved ham, poblano peppers, anaheims, fresnos, cheddar or cream or mozarella cheeses. Endless.

Maybe ZBQ will chime in with his Ultimate Breakfast Fattie.

Good luck, enjoy!

Holy crap am I hungry. This stuff sounds amazing guys, keep'em coming.

One more thing. The process. I add whatever ingredients, re-roll into shape and wrap with plastic wrap then stick in the fridge overnight. Does that sound about right?

Sorry I’m a newb and don’t know if posting links is prohibited but I found this not to long ago.

The Bacon Explosion:

http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/recipes/bacon-explosion/

Last night I put together 4 fatties:
1) diced White Castle Cheese burgers(4) and add some sharp cheddar and granulted garlic. It will be seasoned w/Yardbird rub
2,3,4- sauteed onion, garlic powder,strips of yellow pepper,creamed cheese ,monterey jack. Seasoned with D-Dogs Apple rub.
These will be served as appetizer for Saturday party.

The absolute best fatty I ever made had shredded cheddar and jalepeno relish in it.. dusted with Plowboys yardbird. JD sausage.

I love a stuffed fatty as much as anyone, but just as much like to do a plain one, with a little rub... let it cool/firm up a bit after taking out of the smoker, slice (good sharp knife), halve or quarter the slices, or even dice, serve with toothpicks and a couple of dipping sauces....

I love to hear tips from the fatty pros...

Use a fair amount of whatever you're going to stuff them with. The flavor of a little bit of anything in the middle is lost amongst the sausage.

Because of the fat content, they are hard to overcook.

If you like crispy sausage out of pan, you will like crispy fatty. I am going to try a reverse sear under the broiler in the oven after it comes out of the smoker on my next cook. Maybe on the gas grill...

I don't know how others roll them up, but I flatten out the ground sausage on a piece of wax paper, put the stuffing on and then use the wax paper as a handle to help roll it up. It's lots easier than doing it freehand. That stuff is sticky until it's covered in rub.

Why put it in the refrigerator overnight?

White Castle sliders as stuffing? We need pictures of those!!!!!

The better question would be, if you can find something that doesn't taste good in a fatty, let us know.:wink:

I dropped one once, got some gravel and leaves in/on it. Still ate it, but I would definitely recommend omitting the ground debris.:icon_sick

Whitey's in a fatty? Please post pics/turn out. I am going to do a brisket this week and I think I am going to try that

what type of sausage was it? Hot, Reg, Sage?

please tell me!!!!!!

Maple flavored JD with chopped pecans and raisins with Mike Mills Magic Dust is really good.

Back