--> "Cured" Throwdown (Entry & Discussion Thread) LASTS Through April 3!

IMG_1202_zpsxzqzopzs.jpg

IMG_1201_zpsvbrdyd0d.jpg

IMG_1207_zpsbcwiz1xd.jpg

Here's mine

I haven't submitted Throwdown photo in so long, I can't even remember the last entry :shocked: But this category is perfect... I failed to take any photos of my pastrami for St Patrick's day, but... but... but... I did take some shots of my smoked steelhead. :thumb:

I used my dry cure method: brown sugar, salt, ginger, crushed bay leaf, garlic and white pepper. Cure time was 6 hours, then it got a rinse, and an overnight rest, re-seasoned with my garlic pepper blend, along with some coarse black pepper, and smoked in my BIG Chief box for 5 hours until it reached 150°F. The wood was Pitmaster blend of pellets from A-Maze-N which are cherry, hickory and maple.

The set-up shot:

ILtlJgZ.jpg

The money shot:

rVJBFJY.jpg

Cured!

For the cured td i home cured a top round and some belly. I pastrami'd the beef using a dry cure. The belly was brined into bacon. Both recieved a day of cold smoke

I gave a try at rye bread for the first time. I came up with this split top marble loaf

The bacon was coated in maple syrup and rub and then bbq'd.

The inferior cut for pastrami was made tender with a 24 hr sous vide bath

I made a swiss cheese mornay sauce to top it off

Here's the payoff. Bbq bacon and pastrami piled high on a rye hoagie and smothered in swiss cheese sauce

For polling

Back