THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So what's on the menu this weekend boys? I'm thinking of tackling my first PBC brisket and either chicken or ribs. Maybe all of the above? Lol

Got me a tri tip....one of those free range grass fed numbers...mmmmmmmm. Also have some spare ribs in the freezer that I may do. Salmon for the wife. Brussel sprouts and Japanese sweet tator for sides (I'll fire wire these in the PBC)

I was in the mood for some beef ribs yesterday so I decided to throw two racks on the PBC. The hardest part of the process was actually finding beef plate ribs...I called a bunch of supermarkets and butcher shops and nobody had them. Finally I found a little Brazilian butcher shop that had some in stock. The racks looked amazing and they were perfectly trimmed; best part - there were only $5.39/lbs. :thumb:

Here are some pictures from start to finish. I used a little Chipotle Tabasco followed by Kosher salt and generous amount of coarse black pepper, Texas style.

It took a little over 6.5lbs to bring the ribs up to 197* F followed by a hour rest in a cooler. This was probably the most uneventful cook on the PBC so far...I literally didn't need to do a darn thing other than throw a chunk of Hickory wood every once and a while.

Oh, the 'tater salad recipe is by Aaaron Franklin...this is hands down the best 'tater salad I've ever had.

Attachments

Last edited:
Here's my cook today. Pork butt, i cut it in half to speed things up and added cherry chunks to the charcoal. I like having a drip pan underneath to catch most of the drippings

Attachments

I like that setup pjess. :thumb: Good idea for those who don't care as much for the smoke flavor produced from juices hitting the coals...

Here's my cook today. Pork butt, i cut it in half to speed things up and added cherry chunks to the charcoal. I like having a drip pan underneath to catch most of the drippings

What's the drip pan sitting on? You mod in a rack? I was thinking of doing that for times when I wanna save drippings.

I was in the mood for some beef ribs yesterday so I decided to throw two racks on the PBC. The hardest part of the process was actually finding beef plate ribs...I called a bunch of supermarkets and butcher shops and nobody had them. Finally I found a little Brazilian butcher shop that had some in stock. The racks looked amazing and they were perfectly trimmed; best part - there were only $5.39/lbs. :thumb:

Here are some pictures from start to finish. I used a little Chipotle Tabasco followed by Kosher salt and generous amount of coarse black pepper, Texas style.

It took a little over 6.5lbs to bring the ribs up to 197* F followed by a hour rest in a cooler. This was probably the most uneventful cook on the PBC so far...I literally didn't need to do a darn thing other than throw a chunk of Hickory wood every once and a while.

Oh, the 'tater salad recipe is by Aaaron Franklin...this is hands down the best 'tater salad I've ever had.

Great cook! Super lookin meat!

What's the drip pan sitting on? You mod in a rack? I was thinking of doing that for times when I wanna save drippings.

Yes, there is another rack underneath attached with some hooks. I like a little smoke from the drippings but a little goes a long way with me.

What's up guys? Haven't been on in a while, you know how that goes. Doing some wings tomorrow, obviously, ballistic BBQ sweet and spicy, and Garlic Parmesan. Also got some brats and shrimp.

Sako,

About 80 or pages ago, you posted a cook with skewers that had beef, pork, and chicken. We talked about the flat skewers and I picked some up.

For doing wings on the skewers and hanging them, what times did you use with dry rub, 1st baste, 2nd baste, and final pull?

I know Noah's directions, but that's for cooking on the grate.

Cheers!

Sako,

About 80 or pages ago, you posted a cook with skewers that had beef, pork, and chicken. We talked about the flat skewers and I picked some up.

For doing wings on the skewers and hanging them, what times did you use with dry rub, 1st baste, 2nd baste, and final pull?

I know Noah's directions, but that's for cooking on the grate.

Cheers!

Hey Rooster,

Long time. Welcome back. I just dusted them, skewered them and hung until done. That's pretty much my routine with wings on the PBC. About 1hr 15 to 1 hour 30 until pull.

Just dropping by its 0352, no moon in The Mystic. Thinking Jalapeno Lime wings. Saw those stainless wire flexible skewers at Academy recently. May have to buy a couple and loop over the rebar.

Today's going to be my biggest cook yet, I have a 13 lb packer, a rack of babies, and a clucker. We shall see how it all turn out. The packer is a little too long the ppint is resting on the tip of the coals oops. Went with a different charcoal as HEB didn't have stubbs and it appears to be running a bit hotter, right around 300 degrees. Will keep you posted.

Attachments

Today's going to be my biggest cook yet, I have a 13 lb packer, a rack of babies, and a clucker. We shall see how it all turn out. The packer is a little too long the ppint is resting on the tip of the coals oops. Went with a different charcoal as HEB didn't have stubbs and it appears to be running a bit hotter, right around 300 degrees. Will keep you posted.

Best of luck. I'm only doing wings today so you got me beat.

Good luck Tallboy. I wouldn't worry about 300. It'll all taste great still. It'll just get done a little quicker. ...:thumb:

Back