THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sigpi906

Knows what a fatty is.
I'm needing a break from the same-ol' same ol' pork butt. I don't feel like expiramenting on my friends at the lake this weekend, so your favorite non-traditional butt recipe/method.

I'm going to smoke it at about 300* because that's the only way I've got to cook up at the lake house. beyond that I'm open to anything from Hawaiian or Jamaican to well, whatever. Surprise me.

This is a Steven Raichlen recipe I use sometimes.. Babi Guling (Balinese Pork Roast)

Really good. Not that all that spicy, but man, great flavor. Cook to slice, not pull.

Ingredients:
1 boneless pork shoulder roast (about 4 pounds)
4 large shallots, peeled
4 to 8 Thai chiles or 2 to 4 jalapenos
4 cloves garlic, peeled
2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
1 tablespoon chopped fresh turmeric or 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 tablespoon chopped fresh galangal or additional ginger
3 stalks fresh lemongrass, trimmed and finely chopped (about 1/4 cup), or 3
strips lemon zest
1-1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon firmly packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons coarse salt (kosher or sea)
5 tablespoons vegetable oil, or more as needed

Other Items Needed:
Butchers string

Directions:
Using a sharp, heavy knife, cut a deep pocket in one side of the roast, starting and ending about 3/4 inch from each end and cutting almost all the way through to the other side. Set the roast aside while you prepare the spice paste.

Combine the shallots, chiles, garlic, ginger, turmeric, galangal, lemongrass, coriander, pepper, lime juice, sugar, and salt and 2 tablespoons of oil in a mortar and pound to a smooth paste with the pestle. Or combine all the ingredients in a food processor or mini chopper and process to a smooth paste.

Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a wok or small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the spice paste and saute until fragrant and shiny, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and cool, about 15 minutes.

Spread half of the spice paste into the pocket you cut in the pork. Tie the roast, using butchers string, at 1 inch intervals, or pin the opening shut with metal skewers. Using a rubber spatula, spread the remaining paste over the entire surface of the roast.

Couple people have posted recently about cochinita pibil (or puerco pibil).

When it's done right, it's phenomenal.

Wipe it down with woostershire and give it a med coating of Goya Season perfect( Green lid) inject with Goya sour orange foil at 4 hrs save the juices pull skim off the fat from the juices and pour it back over the pull. Serve it up with corn tortillas radish slices pickled red onions lime wedges and sour cream.
Put on a pot of Black beans and make some rice I Guarantee you'll be a hero.

When I'm in the mood for something different I'll take one and marinate/inject it with Goya Mojo Marinade then rub it with some Fajita Seasoning. Cook it just like normal but use some mesquite. Pull and serve with warm soft tortillas, sour cream, cilantro, & pico de gallo.

Cut pocket in butt... stuff with fresh Green onion sausage... Cut slits in fat side, insert garlic,onion,cayenne peppers(or jalapenos)... rub with Creole mustard...rub with your favorite non sweet rub...cook to 165 fat cap up... wrap for 15 minutes... slice and serve with jus... creamed spinach and smothered potatoes are great as sides

Italian Roast Pork Sandwiches

Sliced version

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131893&highlight=roast+pork

Pulled version

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164347&highlight=roast+pork

Sorry about all the jibberish, I tend to babble in my posts, especially if they're for a throwdown. Sharp provolone and sauteed broccoli rabe or spinach makes the dish. Hot peppers put it over the top.

IMG_2741.jpg

Wipe it down with woostershire and give it a med coating of Goya Season perfect( Green lid) inject with Goya sour orange foil at 4 hrs save the juices pull skim off the fat from the juices and pour it back over the pull. Serve it up with corn tortillas radish slices pickled red onions lime wedges and sour cream.
Put on a pot of Black beans and make some rice I Guarantee you'll be a hero.

That sounds really good Blu, but you gotta buy a comma once in a while so my eyes don't cross when I read your posts.

Back