BBQ Brethren "Summer of SPAM" Throwdown!

Do you like SPAM?

• I DON'T LIKE SPAM!!!

Votes: 30 28.0%
  • I love it. I'm having spam spam spam spam spam spam spam beaked beans spam spam spam and spam!

Votes: 58 54.2%
  • As long as it doesn't have very much SPAM in it.

Votes: 16 15.0%
  • Lemon Curry?

Votes: 3 2.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The sands of time are running out on this TD... In order to increase my odds of joining the zero club, I present to you Spam and egg popeyes served on a cold tortilla with Vienna Sausage:

scaled.php

I dare you to vote for this trainwreck... :heh:

The sands of time are running out on this TD... In order to increase my odds of joining the zero club, I present to you Spam and egg popeyes served on a cold tortilla with Vienna Sausage:

scaled.php

I dare you to vote for this trainwreck... :heh:
I think we might have our winning entry right here. Either that or 2nd place.

One of the first things my wife picked up when we got back from Spain was a six-pack of Spam. Whoever had this bright idea for a throwdown is not on my Happy list. :mad:

One of the first things my wife picked up when we got back from Spain was a six-pack of Spam. Whoever had this bright idea for a throwdown is not on my Happy list. :mad:

Six pack? That's about three decades worth of SPAM in my house.

Probably three days for bigabyte.

CD

I think there have been some outstanding entries in this TD. Spam that actually looks like real food! Plus, probably tasted most excelently as well. I do have to admit to a craving for a simple Spam and scrambled egg on buttered toast sandwich ever so often...so I'd definitely hit most of these save Chris' bizarre monstrosities.:becky:

Mini-SPAM Burger on the NUDS (Nano Ugly Drum Smoker)

I have a Smokey Joe, but I wanted to build something small. I have also always wanted to build a UDS. So it seemed logical to build a small UDS.

I made it from a couple 6oz Tomato Paste cans using nothing more than 3 different can openers and aluminum foil.
r_IMG_1106.jpg

I used an Old Fashioned can opener...
canopener.jpg

I used a twist-style cutting-edge can opener that slices the lid open...
can-opener.jpg_1291029542.jpg

And I also used a twist-style smooth-edge can opener that pops the lid up leaving no sharp edges.
oxo-smooth-edge-can-opener.jpg

I shouldn't have to post a picture of Aluminum Foil, I assume you know what that looks like.

I made 4 air intakes by using a twist-style cutting-edge can-opener by just puncturing a hole (no twisting). Then I spread the hole a little larger using the point of the old fashioned can opener.
r_IMG_1107.jpg

I made the intakes adjustable by putting on a band from aluminum foil with holes that matched the location of the intake holes, and made sure to include a handle for ease of operation.
r_IMG_1108.jpg

I made the lid by simply removing the top of a can using the twist-style smooth-edge can opener. This gives me a lid that can snap back onto the can giving a tight seal. I punctured 4 small holes in the lid with the old fashioned can opener, using two of them to install the aluminum foil handle, and the other two for exhaust.
r_IMG_1109.jpg

In this shot you can see the charcoal basket in the bottom, and some aluminum foil straps to hold the grate in place. The charcoal basket is simply another lid that was cut off using a twist-style cutting-edge can opener (so it fits inside the can) and was punctured in 4 places with the old fashioned can opener. The holes give it airflow, and the punctured metal points serve as legs to make this lid stand up about 1/4 inch from the bottom of the can. The aluminum foil straps are pretty straightforward, but were installed through 4 holes at the top of the can made from the twist-style cutting-edge can opener (similar to how I made the air intakes).
r_IMG_1113.jpg

This is my grate made from aluminum foil.
r_IMG_1115.jpg

This picture is just to give you an idea of the size of the NUDS.
r_IMG_1118.jpg

I lit a piece of lump charcoal and stuck it in the NUDS.
r_IMG_1119.jpg

I then put the lid on and let it come to temp (it rose very quickly). I was going by feel as I do not have a pit therm of the appropriate size.
r_IMG_1120.jpg

I then put in the grate.
r_IMG_1122.jpg

And then I added a slice of SPAM to make a mini-SPAM Burger.
r_IMG_1123.jpg

I put the lid on to let it cook.
r_IMG_1124.jpg

Go figure, it started to rain!:mad: So I moved it onto one of my kettles under the safety of the kettle lid. A short while later I figured it was ready.
r_IMG_1125.jpg

I put it on a bun and added a slice of cheese.
r_IMG_1128.jpg

I would show you a pic from after the first bite to give you a view of the "doneness" of the burger, but it was all gone in one bite.:shock:

:hail: :hail: :hail:, seriously, just :hail: :hail: :hail:

Turn out the lights! Party over!!! Go ahead and DQ both of my lame attempts and hand the trophy over to Biggie... :heh:

Al, what could possibly go better with Spam than a Vienna sausage? Bigabyte, Spam is best when served in small amounts, so that Spam cook of yours is epic!

Those entries call for the rarest of rare trifecta praises.

picture.php

picture.php

And...

picture.php

Time is running out, and we have had a definite slowdown in SPAM entries. I may need to make my second SPAM purchase of this millennium and see what kind of vittles I can whip up. :crazy:

Who's with me? :clap2:

CD

Turn out the lights! Party over!!! Go ahead and DQ both of my lame attempts and hand the trophy over to Biggie... :heh:

Yeah, he photographed his on fancy china, but I did SPAM sliders first -- and mine had a gormay sauce on them. :drama:

CD

Back