BBQ Brethren "New Years Traditions" Throwdown

Here is my entry for the New Years Traditions throwdown. We did a whole hog for New Years and have for the past 7 years

Here is the thread from this years cook... http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98071

Please use this picture for the throwdown
IMG_1201.jpg

New Year's eve we typically have steak or prime rib. This week we had both. We had been planning on prime rib for Christmas day, but that was delayed. I like to do a reverse sear on these with some oak. I first smoke them indirect at 225* until the internal temp is about 125*. Then I take it off and let it rest covered for about 20 minutes.

IMG_0518.jpg

And ramp up the temp on the Oval:

IMG_0520.jpg

I then sear it for a couple minutes

IMG_0519.jpg

I give it another ten minutes rest and serve it up. I was very hungry and didn't take any pics, but someone did get caught sneaking a rib afterwards.

IMG_0523.jpg

New Year's eve we had some NY strips. I did a reverse sear on these also. The Oval is great for this as I can set up multiple levels with indirect cooking on one side:

IMG_0601.jpg

I then seared them:

IMG_0602.jpg

Gave them a little rest

IMG_0605.jpg

and sliced and served them

IMG_0613.jpg

I think I like this pic best

IMG_0607.jpg

For this throw down, we pretty much stuck with our traditional smoked ham, black eyed peas, collards and cornbread. Since we were out of ham, I cured and smoked a butt for the occasion ( and maybe a few sandwiches to boot). The black eyed peas were cooked on the Bayou Classic with onions, garlic, celery and the smoked ham, and seasoned to taste. The collards had to wait their turn on the classic until the black eyed's where done. All plated with a slice of buttered cornbread. Thanks for looking, and a Happy and prosperous New Year to all.
NYham.jpg

NYgoods.jpg

NYbclassic.jpg

NYcollards.jpg
Please use this for entry shot. Thanks for looking
NYplate.jpg

Dang Gore, I was filling out my post while you were posting yours. I didn't mean to step on yours, my apologies.

Dang Gore, I was filling out my post while you were posting yours. I didn't mean to step on yours.

It's just a boring ol' steak. Been sitting on my computer for a while and finally pressed the button. Looks like I stepped on that poor pig doing the same thing. It's Saturday night though and can't really be helped.

I want to cook a little pig too (but without the head :rolleyes:).
I think I'm going to have to do make black-eyed peas too. You guys make these look really good!

I should never have looked Now I go to bed hungry..This is going to be a real good throw down

While it is our tradition to have steak or prime rib on New Year's eve, on New Year's day our tradition is to have Chinese food. The highlight of this is Peking duck. I begin this three days in advance by pouring a gallon or so of boiling water over the duck. This tightens the skin.Then it air dries in the fridge with a coating of maple syrup over night.

IMG_0622.jpg

Twice last year I tried the entire cooking process on my Oval, but I had trouble getting the fat rendered. So this year, I decided to compromise. I would render the fat in the oven on low heat and then transfer it to my Oval to finish cooking and smoking it. Here it is almost through cooking. There is about half an inch of fat on the bottom of the pan.

IMG_0632.jpg

We made the pancakes to go with these, although they're really more like tortillas. These are rolled together in pairs:

IMG_0634.jpg

Cooked,

IMG_0635.jpg

and separated

IMG_0636.jpg

My oldest daughter cooked them this year. We also made some green beans cooked in soy sauce and sesame seeds,

IMG_0638.jpg

and had a few pre-made treats from Costco:

IMG_0637.jpg

The duck is rolled in the pancakes with some green onion and hoisin sauce. One thing I don't like about duck is that it is extremely fatty. By rendering the fat with the low heat the skin can be made almost paper thin and truly crispy with no fat between the crispy skin and the meat. And all that melted fat makes the meat really moist.

IMG_0656-1-1-1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Ecode, I love Peking duck and yours looks fantastic! Bravo! :-D

Chicken Teriyaki, sadly there is no plated shot.
chicken.jpg

This has been a traditional dish for our family for the past 50 years or more. It is not quite Japanese in origin, although similar chicken recipes have existed for a long time in the family. This is also the dish I have cooked for the family every New Year for 35 or more years.

Wow, I had no idea we had such multicultural tastes for New Year's Eve treats. Peking duck, tandoori chicken, etc are not what I think of usually, but boy they look good! What a great way to start the year.

Speaking of which, Happy New Year everybody!

--Jonny Rotisserie

Oh Heck... Happy New Year Everone... I just got a connection and saw this... I wanna enter... some Lamb! Lamb is a new year tradition here... especially a bone in Leg of Lamb, so that is what I cooked on New Years Day.
The day before, I rubbed it in Todds Dirt (Original) and on New Years Day, did a 7 hour slow cook on the BBQ...... Bloody Fabulous!

I'm having trouble uploading to photobucket because of my variable 3G connection... I'll post just the necessary stuff

Here's the leg going on!
DSC_0056_1480.jpg

Here's the "gratuitous vote gathering" shot....
DSC_0069_1489.jpg

A sliced shot... Man this was b e a u t i t u l !
DSC_0076_1496.jpg

And finally, the plated shot... Dad's plate... Dad always gets the shank! YUM!
DSC_0091_1510.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Cheers

Bill

Back