THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

grillin'fox

Found some matches.
I was visiting my family for the holidays and had a chance to check out my dad's new Weber S-670. I know some of you will tear me a new one for using a propane grill to cook with, but I had to try it at least once. I wasn't able to find a whole lot about using this grill to smoke so I figured I would toss in my two cents.

As far as propane grills go, this one is a beast with 6 burners and an included smoker box w/ a burner. I figured with this many burners I would have pretty good temperature control and enough space to fit the point brisket, boneless pork shoulder, two racks of baby backs, and a couple of fatties.

PC170001.jpg
[/IMG]

I started with the fatties, brisket, and shoulder at 1000hrs. The fatties were ready to come off a couple of hours later and served as a good snack. I foiled the brisket and shoulder when they hit 155F, and moved them into the oven with 4 hours to go for dinner so I could fit the ribs.

The ribs were some of the best I've done. I used part of the recipe from amazingribs.com and everyone enjoyed them.

PC170007.jpg
[/IMG]

PROs: Great temperature control- a solid 225 with only the two opposing burners on.
Lots of space on the grill
Reasonable gas usage - less than a full bottle and the grill was on 8hrs.

CONs: The filled burner box would only provide smoke for about 15mins, so I didn't get a great smoke ring on the meat- but the taste was solid.
Propane!

Sorry I didn't get any pics of the finished meats. The brisket was a little dry, but the shoulder was great and juicy. I got caught up in hosting duties and the food was soon demolished.

nice grill. I would love to have that on my patio. My Weber is about 12 years old and still workin like a champ. They are such great quality, it's hard to justify getting a new one.

I've got a Summit and really enjoy it.

Nice cook too by the way!

I do love my Genesis and I think it's OK to speak of them around here as long as you don't go calling it BBQ. :wink: I have the cast iron griddle for it and it works great for sliders and cheesesteaks.

I would hit those ribs all day long. Nice work! :thumb:

Back