Finishing Sauce and Glazes? I'm Confused

swamprb

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I've been enjoying Spicewine's Blue Collar Sauce but I'm kind of confused as what a Finishing sauce is? I did a search and the only thing I came up with was a recipe of KCQuer's for Pulled Pork. Anyone care to enlighten me or point out the uses and methods of Glazes and Finishing sauces? I'm not really into making my own sauces and my Competition entries tended to be on the sweet side.

Would a glaze be something you apply at end of cook and let heat set it to meat, and a finishing sauce one applied after cooking? I personally have had sauces that finished me :biggrin:.

A glaze is typically added near the end of a cook that's not tomato based and is typically sweet and somewhat thick. A finishing sauce is added after the cook and can just about anything, but is added just before serving usually.

A glaze is typically added near the end of a cook that's not tomato based and is typically sweet and somewhat thick. A finishing sauce is added after the cook and can just about anything, but is added just before serving usually.

Yep, what he said is what I've always thought. I do like a finishing sauce on pulled pork!

I consider a finishing sauce is applied after the meat is off the pit. A glaze is added for the last period on the pit. A glaze I use is 1 part of my BBQ sauce to 1 part water, and 1/2 part honey. Heat, mix and apply at the end of cooking (10-20 minutes). A finsihing sauce is applied just as the meat goes in the turn in box, or on the side (at home/cater).

What finishing sauce do you like and/or reccommend for pulled pork Chief?

I will tell you what I like 1 part bbq sauce (I normally use something fairly sweet and tomato based) 1 part applejuice and a table spoon or so of rub depending on the amount of juice and sauce. I add it after the meat is pulled and mix it in.

I will tell you what I like 1 part bbq sauce (I normally use something fairly sweet and tomato based) 1 part applejuice and a table spoon or so of rub depending on the amount of juice and sauce. I add it after the meat is pulled and mix it in.

That sounds good! Does the rub take away some of the sweetness?

Does anyone here use an Au Jus concoction? This is all I really know 'cause it's how I was introduced to pulled pork.

Also, are there any other directions I can take with pulled pork?

Looking to expand my horizons!:cool:

You can always go more Asian... hold back on the typical rub spices, use some sesame, ginger, etc., then finish with teriyaki or soy sauce reduction mixed with some honey. You can use some wasabi in the rub or in the sauce, but be careful.

What finishing sauce do you like and/or reccommend for pulled pork Chief?

I got this a while back from another site and really like it. Squirt some on after you pull the pork just before serving then mix it up.

1 Cup Cider Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning
1 Teaspoon Course Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

Thx guys, those both sound good. I brought some chuckie for lunch and I know we have stuff in the pantry here to do either..........or better yet, both! WOOT!

In BBQ terms a glaze is applied while the meat is still in. A finishing sauce is applied after pulling the meat out. I am trying so hard to keep this post out of Woodpile:!: Let's just suffice it to say that the terms are the exact opposite when it comes to another activity popular among the brethren.

In BBQ terms a glaze is applied while the meat is still in. A finishing sauce is applied after pulling the meat out. I am trying so hard to keep this post out of Woodpile:!: Let's just suffice it to say that the terms are the exact opposite when it comes to another activity popular among the brethren.

:lol::lol::lol:

I am soooo not quick on the draw. I sincerely had no idea where you were going with this until I actually read the words "another activity", and then had to re-read the beginning!:eek:

You can always go more Asian... hold back on the typical rub spices, use some sesame, ginger, etc., then finish with teriyaki or soy sauce reduction mixed with some honey. You can use some wasabi in the rub or in the sauce, but be careful.

What is a "sauce reduction"?

(Thanks for learnin' me!)

I had to resist the temptation too, Chris.

You Farkers are funny. Where is the "finishing" sauce applied once the meat is "pulled" out? Just messing with ya?

Would it be safe to say to say that most of the time a finishing sauce is a bit thinner than a glaze and not as strong in flavor so as to not over power her flavor, I mean the flavor of the meat?

I see the Woodpile withing reach!!

What is a "sauce reduction"?

(Thanks for learnin' me!)

You get a sauce reduction if you do it more than 1 times in a night:
back-to-back-to-back mod.

Or it is when you simmer a sauce for a long period of time reducing the amount & concentrating the flavors.

I prefer definition #1 :biggrin:

Back