Another cast-iron skillet question

TexasGuppie

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
While inspecting a customer's property I noticed a LARGE "Lodge" cast-iron skillet laying in the grass. I asked, "Why is that there?" My customer then revealed that he "uses it to cover up a plumbing clean out."

After explaining to him the problems he could create for himself if someone from the S.P.C.C.I.C. (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Cast Iron Cookware) were to be notified of this blatant abuse of a quality piece of cookware, he asked if I would like to "adopt" the skillet.

With me being the cast-iron lover that I am I of course jumped on this opportunity to provide a better life for this little fella.

Here's the problem: He is covered in some pretty good rust. How should I go about cleanin' up the little guy? I look forward to the day when he can be treated to a full slab of bacon and all of the lard he can absorb but right now, he faces an uphill battle.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer.

Ken

Aluminum oxide sand blasting. Fround on by the purists, but quick.

Last edited:
See this link for help on refurbishment.

http://panman.com/cleaning.html

When cleaning my pans, I followed the directions but also hit them pretty hard with with a dremel and some sand paper. The re-seasoning instructions are good, but I would recommend doing that outside if at all possible (gas grill works good) due to smoke.

TexasGuppie said:
While inspecting a customer's property I noticed a LARGE "Lodge" cast-iron skillet laying in the grass. I asked, "Why is that there?" My customer then revealed that he "uses it to cover up a plumbing clean out."

After explaining to him the problems he could create for himself if someone from the S.P.C.C.I.C. (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Cast Iron Cookware) were to be notified of this blatant abuse of a quality piece of cookware, he asked if I would like to "adopt" the skillet.

With me being the cast-iron lover that I am I of course jumped on this opportunity to provide a better life for this little fella.

Here's the problem: He is covered in some pretty good rust. How should I go about cleanin' up the little guy? I look forward to the day when he can be treated to a full slab of bacon and all of the lard he can absorb but right now, he faces an uphill battle.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer.

Ken

Angle Grinder did the trick for me when cleaning up an old dutch oven.

033287125746_4.jpg

What is a "plumbing cleanout"? If it's what I think it is the skillet is garbage.

Smoker said:
What is a "plumbing cleanout"? If it's what I think it is the skillet is garbage.

Hopefully just an access point for snaking drains.

BTW, drill with a wire brush, then lots of heat.

thillin said:
Hopefully just an access point for snaking drains.

BTW, drill with a wire brush, then lots of heat.

That's exactly what it is...a "snaking" point. But Smoker, what did you think I was referring to?

Ken (doesn't want to clean this thing up only to use it and then sprout a third eye in the middle of my forehead.)

Frisco_Smoker said:
Angle Grinder did the trick for me when cleaning up an old dutch oven.

That's what I have used. An angle grinder with a wire wheel. Then just make a nice campfire out back and throw the pan in. Let it cool, wipe it down and reseason.

Kevin said:
That's what I have used. An angle grinder with a wire wheel. Then just make a nice campfire out back and throw the pan in. Let it cool, wipe it down and reseason.

Okay...here's my dumber side coming out again: Why throw it in a fire after the grinding/wire wheel/sanding/etc.?

I've got the seasoning part down: 10 lbs of bacon cooked in the pan and I'll be ready to go...

Ken (...ready to go to the Cardiologist!)

TexasGuppie said:
Okay...here's my dumber side coming out again: Why throw it in a fire after the grinding/wire wheel/sanding/etc.?

I've got the seasoning part down: 10 lbs of bacon cooked in the pan and I'll be ready to go...

I'm not sure. That's just what I've done before. Maybe it's the inherent mindset that fire kills cooties.

Kevin said:
I'm not sure. That's just what I've done before. Maybe it's the inherent mindset that fire kills cooties.

Well...in the fire it will go. I SURE don't need no danged cooties!

Ken ("Cootie Free" for years)

Tossing it in the fire could make it pop into two or more pieces, that is some serious thermal shock. I would get a good coat of grease on it and place it upside down in a 350 degree something for a few hours. Or put it in the oven ungreased and then start a self cleaning cycle to burn any extra carbon off.

Take it to a local garage with a bead blaster, and give the tech $10.00. The glass will not eat the good metal, all cooties will be gone, and all you have to do is reseason.

"That's exactly what it is...a "snaking" point. But Smoker, what did you think I was referring to?"

Thats exactly what I thought. If its been laying on the ground covering some chithole I would never use it. Call me crazy but I'd rather buy a new one for $10.

TexasGuppie said:

I always season my cast iron by smearing lots of crisco on it and the heating in the over at high temps for a while.......might take a session or two!:biggrin:

nmayeux said:
Take it to a local garage with a bead blaster, and give the tech $10.00. The glass will not eat the good metal, all cooties will be gone, and all you have to do is reseason.

seconded! :thumbsup:

evilpsych said:
seconded! :thumbsup:

Is that your OL in the background of your avatar? If so......I salute you....you are the man! Those are spectacular!!!!!!!!:biggrin:

Just noticed....you are a ky boy too!

FatDad said:
GEEEEZ....You guys are something else.

1st of all if the skillet was laying over a septic tank....
Throw that sumbiotch away.......

I am tremendously disturbed by your obvious lack of concern over something that at one time was a valuable addition to someone's kitchen arsenal. It was NOT laying over a "septic tank" Sir. It was laying over a capped pipe.

Let me ask you this: if your child was to come home a little dirty from playing near a septic tank, would you simply cast him/her aside? I think not!

This skillet will soon be returned to it's rightful place of prominence next to other cast-iron pots, skillets and dutch ovens AND with it's sordid past behind it.

I just hope your crass statements were made during a time when you failed to have full control of your mental capacities, perhaps in a drunken stupor or even more acceptable as an excuse for your tirade; your mind was hindered from proper function due to too much hickory smoke.

To the others: Protect your pots and pans. One day you will need them and it should be an embarrassment to you if you have to walk out into your yard to retrieve them from atop your plumbing clean-out.

Ken (sorry to rant but this touched a nerve:mrgreen: )

TexasGuppie said:
I just hope your crass statements were made during a time when you failed to have full control of your mental capacities, perhaps in a drunken stupor or even more acceptable as an excuse for your tirade; your mind was hindered from proper function due to too much hickory smoke.

Ken (sorry to rant but this touched a nerve:mrgreen: )

Peace Brother !
I think that skillet just hit me upside the head.
Never intended my remark in a bad way.
Sorry about that.

Back