brats for dinner

cafolla1

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
so i picked up some brats today, they are cheddar beer brats from sweet stem farms a local farm that makes a killer cheddar brat, and what I normally do is simmer in beer with onions and than grill to finish, but i was wondering about what the brethren would do. so brethren i ask you, how do you prepare your brats?

Sunday Afternoon----lots of folks watching sports, cooking, spending time with friends and family, etc.
They will be along :-D

I do not cook a lot of brats, but when I do it is just as you described.

Good Eats.

TIM

man alota views and no responses color me bummed

Don't be. I just saw this. :)

I've just started grilling brats and I love them! I poached my last batch in water (didnt' have beer), onion powder and garlic powder. I threw them on the grill and browned them until they just started to split.

All of us ate two of them. They weren't greasy in the least and tasted great. I still want to try the beer method.

That's my preference, too! There was a discussion around here somewhere about the meters of simmer first, grill to finish vs. grill finish and then hold in a beer/onion bath tub.

I was taking a nap..........We either boil in beer & onion & water, then grill it on direct heat or just indirect with no boil, then brown up the outside.

man alota views and no responses color me bummed

This is the first time I saw the thread. New threads can move down the line pretty fast with the volume this forum does. Be patient.

I like to boil my brats in bear with slice onions, then grill. I top the brats with the beer cooked onions.

I don't do cheddar brats, though. :crazy:

CD

I cook them indirect on a kettle until they get plump, start checking at about 30 minutes or so.

Smoke over 250* until chestnut brown and juices are running wild under the skin. Place over high heat for some grill marks and crispy skin. Then beer, butter and onion spa to hold. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited:
Just grill 'em nice and slow until they take on a beautiful mahogany color.
No bath.
No spa.
No hot tub.
Put 'em on a bun with onions, kraut, and brown mustard.
Good stuff, Maynard.

im with harbormaster ...

i truly dont believe any self respecting brat lover cooks any way other than over heat nice and slow ... boiling first = ruining a great sausage ... no worse crime in my eyes ..

i do like em smoked too around 300 for an hour or lil longer! but NEVER water on my brats

I do the spa for serving. If you have 10 guests, put 5 or so in the spa, When gone add more. The spa for me is a holding tank to maintain heat. From the grill to the bun is THE BEST. If I can do this NO SPA. But sometimes you just don't have a choice. I do a few tailgate parties and smoke the brat ahead of time. Thrwo them in the spa on my gasser, heat em up and serve. Always a hit. Now some folks like to soak em in the spa for hours.................SHRINKAGE.

Just grill 'em nice and slow until they take on a beautiful mahogany color.
No bath.
No spa.
No hot tub.
Put 'em on a bun with onions, kraut, and brown mustard.
Good stuff, Maynard.

Same here! Bun, Kraut, Spicy Mustard! Drink the beer, you'll appreciate more than the Brats will.

Indirect on the kettle..... 350ish...... With Apple wood chunks..... Beer bath if you need some Q-Bling for your guests & char a bit over the heat if you like.

If you boil first it takes too much flavor away.
1. Grill on high while you saute onions with butter in a foil pan.
2. Place brats in pan with onions and add a beer.
3. Cover pan with foil and reduce liquid by 1/2 to 3/4

My wife is the brat lover. I always make sure we throw some on for her if we are making dogs (Nathan's of course......shields face :razz:) She loves em with just mustard. Pop em on the slow side of the grill and roll em around a bit. Nice pop to em and lot's of juice!

Whenever I have something on......I smoke some brats alongside for lunch

Back