UDS using only wood

Mark

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Am I the only one that doesn't use charcoal?

I only use charcoal to get the wood started. 1/2 chimney of unlit charcoal on to of the log(s) and 1/2 chimney of lit on top of that.

Buddy of mine uses only hardwood limbs in his, bark and all, and seems happy with it. I haven't tried it, but did pimp out the UDS a few times this Winter as an all wood fire pit whilst we were standing around drankin'...

Mark, havent tried that. I have noticed too much wood verses cresote deposite in my drum. could be not seasoned enough before cooking with. :eek: Like to know more.

i have wonder if you could use wood. That the main reason i havent built one cause I use all wood

I think one of the nice things about the uds is that if the charcoal basket is done right you can cook for a long time with a mix of wood and charcoal. The heat rises so keeping the heat constant for the duration is important. One challenge you can experience with wood in this type of scenario is that as the wood dries during the burning it will vary some in heat output and speed. The charcoal can regulate this.

If you are using consistent sizes of wood with a packed density that allows for airflow and the wood is completely aged and not wet you should be ok.

Using wood in an offset is nice because the offset needs more heat as it has to travel horizontally and then vertically. You will lose heat in the offset's out the firebox. UDS is the firebox so you can keep it on the meat.

That being said, I like using wood more than charcoal because other than renting a splitter to split a couple truckloads of wood, it's free. Charcoal is not.

Creosote buildup is going to happen with the more wood you burn. but shouldn't be that bad. Probably ever other month you might want to either scrape it or burn that log in it that will cause it to dry out. The creosote can become a fire hazard if not careful. (burnt out spicewine mod)

Lump is wood!

100_1717.jpg

Flame on!

100_1718.jpg

Lazarri Mesquite Lump!

Back