getting bark on a ceramic

eagle697

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I did a large cook last weekend and for the first time did a direct comparison between my ceramic cookers and my bandera. While the tast on both was good, i noticed a serious difference in the bark. The bark on the ceramics is very thin and relatively flavorless compared to the deep mahogony colored bark from teh bandera. I have been thinking this for a while, but this is the first time i have had a direct comaprison. I used the same rub on both. Made a bed of charcoal and burned oak and cherry in the bandera. In the primo and grilldome i had royal oak with 3-4 fist sized chunks of oak and cherry. Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a way to get a good, thick bark on ceramics? I love the ease of ceramics, and so far, this is the only drawback i see, other than the lack of excuse to sit out on the deck and drinking while i cook:-D.

Were you cooking brisket, pork shoulder or ribs ??

Curious to see what others opinions are... Maybe there is more moisture retention with the ceramics ?

this time it was pork butts. I have noticed a softer bark on briskets in the ceramics as well. It does seem like the bark is very moist, to the point of being soggy.

Curious to see what others opinions are... Maybe there is more moisture retention with the ceramics ?

That would be my guess, similar to what occurs when you foil. I'd suspect it has to do with moisture. Dunno though.

Ramp up the heat a BIT in the ceramics - they retain moisture well enough to go to like 265 on a Pork Shoulder or a Brisket (only in the quest for Bark - unnecessary otherwise)

I don't own a ceramic, however, I experience the same thing with a Gravity-feed charcoaler. I have convinced myself that is the lack of air flow.

I have a much better bark on butts and briskets when using the stickburner compared to when I use the Gravity-feed. I figure it's the airflow. Much more airflow in a stickburner than a charcoaler. It's not soggy....just not as crispy.....and I LOVE the crispy bark.

it is the extra moisture in a ceramic cooker causing the softer bark. I agree with the air flow statement above also..when I had my pitts and spitts offset, my bark was great (I just got tired of tending the fire so much!). When I went to a Stumps, I think the overall quality of my que improved, but the bark was not as crisp for sure...now on my Primo, I think my que is just as good as on the Stumps (some food a lot better too), but the bark is definately a bit softer...I usually try and cook brisket, ribs, and butts around 250 in the Primo and I do NOT use any kind of liquid in the cooker (I do have a drip pan, but after trying it filled with liquid, I get better results from using no liquid).

I find that if I rub a very corse black pepper and a corse salt on the outside of my egg it ends up with a nice bark. :rolleyes:

I think the point on a little higher temp for bark is the key. I found that out by accident the last time a did a butt on the dome.

Back