THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

loghead2510

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Brett
I'm looking for some help on pellet recommendations and if anyone has a good source to buy in bulk for a bit cheaper than I have been buying local. I have a Mak 2 star and ran through the BBQ Delight that came with it and have been using Traeger from Home Depot in the meantime out of convenience. (I'm in NJ, not a lot of local places to buy good pellets for cheap) There is a store about 30 minutes from me selling BBQ Delight for $16 a bag, which seems to be the best local option I can find.

I know there are a lot of older threads on here about sourcing pellets in bulk but I am assuming things have changed since a lot of them.

Do you guys have any favorite pellets with the Mak/any good sourcing to order in bulk?

Thanks in advance!

The two brands I have found that I like are Bear Mountain and Kingsford. I would like to try Lumberjack, but can’t find them locally. Have heard nothing but good about them.

My local TSC has several Bear Mountain blends. Last time I was in I noticed the Bold BBQ blend.

Can anybody give a critique of the Bold BBQ blend?

Theres a million variables and infinite opinions. Best thing you can do is see if you can cheaply source a sample bag or 2 of everything.

Home Depot sells a good selection of pellets including Bear Mountain although their prices aren't all that good.

And I just got an email saying Lowe's is now carrying Bear Mountain. I like the sweet and savory varieties.

Same here. They are currently priced at $12.98 for a 20lb bag. TSC used to sell for $10 a bag but if you are in Jersey you could be looking at a 40 minute drive for the closest one.

Also, if you are a Costco member they also sell them. $25 for a 40lb bag. Slightly better than Lowes pricing.

Bear Mountain is supposed to be available at Lowes now or coming soon ... just got an email about it

Bear Mountain pellets work great. I have been mostly getting mine mail order when they run their once-a-year-BOGO - will see if they still offer this with Lowes joining the outlets.

Also, to get additional flavors of pellets you can combine flavors and make your own mix.

CookinPellets and Lumberjack both offer bulk deals direct from their sites. Both are far superior to Bear Mountain, IMO. CookinPellets use no base wood (oak or alder). Single species Bear Mountain are mostly oak or alder.

Lumberjack has (or used to have) a signup for group buys in many areas. After enough people in an area signed up/committed to a combined pallet full of bags, everyone was contacted, you ordered/paid and then the pallet was delivered to a location and everyone picked up their order.

I did this about a year ago here in San Diego. The pickup spot was a delivery warehouse in San Marcos (north San Diego) and, on delivery day, everyone showed up and split the pallet. I didn't know any of the guys but the pick up went fast/smoothly and the price was great.

Found it: https://bbqpelletsonline.com/group-buy-current-listings/

Lumberjack has (or used to have) a signup for group buys in many areas. After enough people in an area signed up/committed to a combined pallet full of bags, everyone was contacted, you ordered/paid and then the pallet was delivered to a location and everyone picked up their order.

I did this about a year ago here in San Diego. The pickup spot was a delivery warehouse in San Marcos (north San Diego) and, on delivery day, everyone showed up and split the pallet. I didn't know any of the guys but the pick up went fast/smoothly and the price was great.

I’ve seen that on their website but never tried it, I usually get their pellets from from dick’s at around $16 per 20 pound bag.

Lil' Devils at WinCo today, $7.98 for 20 lbs. At that price I say they have better flavor than anything else. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

I get my LJ pellets (usually pecan or hickory) at Atwood’s -reg 8.99/20lb sometimes on sale for 6.99

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The two brands I have found that I like are Bear Mountain and Kingsford. I would like to try Lumberjack, but can’t find them locally. Have heard nothing but good about them.

Look at Dick's Sporting Goods. Around me they carry some LumberJack and I understand they can order other varieties. I also understand they will price match. If so, get them to match Atwoods Ranch and Home prices.

Any lumberjack varieties you recommend? I see a lot seem to prefer their hickory or comp blend.

I am surprised by the Bear Mountain love. When they first came out, I thought that were a bunch of bad reviews. Has something changed?

I do not mind Pit Boss Competition Blend which I get at Menards.

Back