THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FLbobecu

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Nick
Been doing some research on stick burners - have NOT been reasonably been able to locate anything within 2 states. Tried reaching out to some "builders" but their prices are as much or more than commercially made units. So I'm having a bit of trouble locating anything.

Old Country Brazos - sold out 2 states away

Horizon 16" for $999 at BPS I can find, but not anywhere close by - about 3.5 hours each way.

There is a Yoder dealer about 120 miles away that can get me a Cheyenne.

However, as I'm doing my research, it seems like there have been prior draft issues around 2015 or 2016 to about 2018 it seems. I "saw" they 'updated' the design, but haven't really heard much about the update and if it fixes the draft issues.

I live in a some-what windy area, the smoker would be partially protected from shed and the house but the wind here swirls often and I'm concerned.

Horizon - seems to get stamp of approval from most - but don't want to waste a full day driving, only to put my hands on it and not like it.

Yoder - seemed to get praise and positive feedback prior to the draft issue - can't really put my finger on how 2020 models or "latest" batch models are working out.

Old Country Brazos - bigger pit, slightly better materiall selection/construction 1/4" vs 3/16" and no issues draft wise. Currently out of stock within 500 miles.

General consensus? Thoughts? Opinions?

Last edited:
Looks like the Brazos is out of stock online at Academy. I'd would wait until you can buy it online. I was in the same predicament as you 3 years ago. I kicked the tires on the Cheyenne at a local BBQ store and the Horizon at Bass Pro. My decision was based on the bigger size and 1/4" steel of the Brazos and I'm very happy with it.

Looks like the Brazos is out of stock online at Academy. I'd would wait until you can buy it online. I was in the same predicament as you 3 years ago. I kicked the tires on the Cheyenne at a local BBQ store and the Horizon at Bass Pro. My decision was based on the bigger size and 1/4" steel of the Brazos and I'm very happy with it.

Thank you for the reply. I don't have allegiance to any one product. Watched many Youtube videos on Old Country and the Brazos specifically - seems like a winner for the price. Would one day like a LSG but $2,500+ loaded and shipped is a steep price to pay today (getting married at the end of the year) and should I enjoy a stick burner, I would one day like to upgrade.

Currently using a Kamado Joe, Weber kettle, and Blackstone griddle. Would like a stick burner to complete my array of grills/smokers and options.

-Nick

I did just notice that the Brazos is now $299 to ship from Academy. I think it was only $99 when I purchased it. You might have to weigh that in on your decision. Brazos would probably still get the edge if it was me though.

Don't forget to keep your eyes out for a gently used stick burner. Definitely be wiling to drive a few hours each way if necessary. Continue to reach out to the forum here for leads as well.

I was in the same position as you just a few months back trying to find a stick burning that was good value. I wanted to get a LSG but could not stomach the shipping fees to the state of Washington. For me, BPS and Horizon was one option via a local BPS store. Fortunately, a forum member here had a friend in the Portland area (2.5 hrs each way) that was wanting to sell a very lightly used LSG. I jumped on it after seeing pictures... Been very happy since.

Stay patient, it will work for you.:grin:

I've seen several nice offsets go up for sale on this board in the sale section in Michigan. LSG, Shirley, Lang just to name a few. Keep an eye out in sale section if you are not. There is a really nice Peoria cooker in there right now.

I've seen several nice offsets go up for sale on this board in the sale section in Michigan. LSG, Shirley, Lang just to name a few. Keep an eye out in sale section if you are not. There is a really nice Peoria cooker in there right now.

Yeah I’m interested; I just don’t need something that large. I hope I will eventually need something that big. Im adding a 4th cooker and would like to try and branch out into supporting some local events, is all I have in the works for the time being.

A 16 or 20” pit is plenty as this is a secondary smoker pit.

Been watching forums, Facebook, even craigslist. Just so few available and the two Old Country pits I’ve found are $50 cheaper than new, are 2-3 years old and have surface rust. I can handle work but I offered $180-$225 and was “nicely” declined on a $400 pit.

Just scratching my head. Lol

Yeah I’m interested; I just don’t need something that large. I hope I will eventually need something that big. Im adding a 4th cooker and would like to try and branch out into supporting some local events, is all I have in the works for the time being.

A 16 or 20” pit is plenty as this is a secondary smoker pit.

Been watching forums, Facebook, even craigslist. Just so few available and the two Old Country pits I’ve found are $50 cheaper than new, are 2-3 years old and have surface rust. I can handle work but I offered $180-$225 and was “nicely” declined on a $400 pit.

Just scratching my head. Lol

Not to talk you out of anything, but 20" is probably the smallest I would consider. I've used many many different cookers, and the smaller barrel type offsets are the hardest type to get them to do what you want them to do. The firebox is just too small to really call it a stick burner. You have to cut them down so much to run clean, it's more of a chunk burner. Most of them that are that small work better with charcoal and chunks in my experience.

The bigger the firebox, the easier time you will have. Generally anyway. I would try to at least keep that in mind when looking.

Not to talk you out of anything, but 20" is probably the smallest I would consider. I've used many many different cookers, and the smaller barrel type offsets are the hardest type to get them to do what you want them to do. The firebox is just too small to really call it a stick burner. You have to cut them down so much to run clean, it's more of a chunk burner. Most of them that are that small work better with charcoal and chunks in my experience.

The bigger the firebox, the easier time you will have. Generally anyway. I would try to at least keep that in mind when looking.

Yeah I’m starting to learn that as I discover/re-discover offset smokers. Weird how hours/days of research will cause you to reconsider things.

I’ve looked at Horizon at BPS and really wasn’t impressed with the quality. Really poor cuts and welds, and I’m far from an expert on that kind of thing. I think holding off for the old country is probably the way to go

Back