THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KenC52

Got Wood.
Name or Nickame
KenC
Finally stopped raining and warmed up so I decided to try my new Bandera cooker again. Loaded up 3 links of sausage, beef short ribs, and a beef chuck roast. Had a lot of trouble getting the temperature up. After 2 hours and two full chimney's of charcoal and several large chunks of almond wood the temp was still 117! I had tried opening the fire box door from a couple of inches to half way open. Nothing helped. Then as I was watching it I saw flames licking out of the opening for the door. Realized that the wind was blowing down the chimney and out the fire box door, at least to some degree. So I removed the flat metal cover from the chimney and put a 1 gallon metal can over the stack as a wind protection. I had cut halfway around the bottom of the can and folded the "flap" back as an additional wind break. It worked! Within half an hour I was over 200 degrees and have held between 225 and 255 for the past hour. The bad news is that I was so distracted by the temp I left the sausages on too long and they were SERIOUSLY over cooked! Good news is that the short ribs and roast are moving along well. I'll post photos when they are done.

Attachments

• IMG_20180215_152419163.jpg
    IMG_20180215_152419163.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_20180215_152442180.jpg
    IMG_20180215_152442180.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 140
Finished Results

OK here is the chuck roast. It had great flavor and very tender, but dry. Now I know why my mother always added a can of stock or soup mix to the slow cooker when she made a roast. Next time when I wrap it (at 160 degrees) I will put it in a disposable pan with a flavorful liquid of some kind and finish it as a braise. Still it will make some fine roast beef sandwiches today!

Attachments

• 18-02-15 Chuck Roast 01.jpg
    18-02-15 Chuck Roast 01.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 18-02-15 Chuck Roast 04.jpg
    18-02-15 Chuck Roast 04.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 66
Yup panning and covering with foil once the chuck gets smoke and color and adding liquid to braise is the way to go.

...Then as I was watching it I saw flames licking out of the opening for the door. Realized that the wind was blowing down the chimney and out the fire box door, at least to some degree.

Wind yesterday was really bad for me. This evening is pretty bad too!

Back