Which pellet smokers have a brushless auger motor?

DrSmoke1971

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Bodo
Thinking about getting a pellet smoker, and comparing features. One thing I'd like to get more info on is which brands offer models with a brushless motor. I know that Traeger's D2 is brushless, and the Pit Boss 1600 Elite also seems to have a brushless motor(not the regular 1600 though, only the Elite).
Haven't found any other brand/model mentioning brushless motors. I assume if they don't point it out, they are not brushless, but who knows...
Anyone know of any other examples of pellet grills with brushless motors?

That's a valid request since brushes wear out. But I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor in your choice.

Agree, definitely not the deciding factor. Durability is high on the list, though, but even just for that aspect there's many other things to consider: Design/lifetime of the igniter, durability of the smoker body (stainless vs. powder-coated vs paint, also thickness), manufacturing quality (good cable management of the electric components, etc.).
It's just a bit more easy to get info on those things by looking at company websites or at display models in a store vs finding out about the motor.

Don't know, don't really care. It's an auger motor that spins slowly for a short period of time, takes a break, then spins slowly for a few seconds more. It's not like it's an electric motor that constantly spins at high RPM.

Hm, good point. It's indeed not a rotary tool or an electric drill or something like that.

Don't know, don't really care. It's an auger motor that spins slowly for a short period of time, takes a break, then spins slowly for a few seconds more. It's not like it's an electric motor that constantly spins at high RPM.

Intermittent duty is generally harder on a motor(or engine) than constant duty. Just like driving a vehicle. Starting and stopping is killer on them.

Not knocking anyone but this is another one of those things I wouldn't even concern myself with. Most of these auger motors take literally less than 15 minutes to change and they are inexpensive. I wouldn't be concerned with brushes or brushless and if it that much of a concern, pick up a spare and throw on a shelf in then garage or shed.

I also believe they have an extremely low failure rate regardless of manufacturer.

Back