Whats the best cut of beef for cube steak?

SmokeRingsMatter

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Poppy Pellet Pooper
Just picked up a cuber attachment for my grinder. Been hearing about chuck eye steaks a lot lately. Thought, chuck roast might be a good canidate for cube steak, and since it was on sale for $3.99/lb, i figured why not. So i seperated the muscles, removed a bunch of hard fat (saved for grinding) sliced to about 3/4 inch thickness, then ran it through the cuber.

They looked great.

Then while doing some research, i find out im using the wrong cut, what?

Little did i know, there are at least two types of chuck roast. There is the shoulder (apparently what is sold in my area) and there is another called the Top Blade (never seen, nor heard of it)

So, needless to say, im probably going to braise these.

But, now i am wondering, what would make the best cut for cube steak that is not too lean, or too expensive?

Something that would make a good quick sear on the griddle for (dare i say) cheese steak, or maybe a copycat version of Mcdonalds steak, egg, and cheese bagel.

Anyone familiar with using a cuber and tried out different cuts? What was your favorite?

I could be wrong.. but Don't alot of people use round steaks for this? I could totally be wrong.. But when I ordered local beef.. I think they asked if i wanted cube steak instead of round steaks...

I could be wrong.. but Don't alot of people use round steaks for this? I could totally be wrong.. But when I ordered local beef.. I think they asked if i wanted cube steak instead of round steaks...

I think you are right. They also use Top and/or Bottom round (probably Top though)

But, those are pretty lean. I was going for a cut with a bit more intramuscular fat without getting into more expensive cuts like NY strip, Ribeye, ect...ect

I guess, the main reason i wanted to get a cuber is to use cuts the butcher normally wouldn't use. (and to save some money)

Round steak is typical, but my mom always would pick out a sirloin and have the butcher do that.

I use top or bottom round. I have a hand crank model. I run it thru once, then turn it a quarter turn and run it thru again. This seems to do the trick most of the time. I really like it for pork loins. They are always on sale, and if it's overcooked some it's not inedible like chops can be.

I use top or bottom round. I have a hand crank model. I run it thru once, then turn it a quarter turn and run it thru again. This seems to do the trick most of the time. I really like it for pork loins. They are always on sale, and if it's overcooked some it's not inedible like chops can be.

nevermind my math is off tonight, lol I did a 1/4 turn as well.

Last edited:
I prefer Eye or Top round.

What do you mainly use it for? And don't you find that lean of a cut too dry?

I am tempted to buy a few $1 ribeyes from the dollar tree just to see if they survive the cuber, and how they compare, taste wise to McDonalds steak,egg,and cheese bagel.

I am seriously craving one of those. I don't even know how long ago the took them off the menu, its been so long ago that ive had one.

Many things. Smoked to 130 then chilled for roast beef. Sliced thin raw and pounded flat for speidini, sicilian steak, chicken fried steak, etc.

Top round

9cs7czwl.jpg

X0UIKDrl.jpg

Top round.

SBJvI04l.jpg

utYn1c5l.jpg

doll9Tnl.jpg

All of it looks great for rare and thin sliced pit beef, or w/e you used it for.

I wonder how well breading it holds in moisture. Ive only had Country fried steak once. It was like eating a hockey puck.

No doubt i had a bad experience, but i live in the east coast. Im sure down south it would have been a lot better.

All of it looks great for rare and thin sliced pit beef, or w/e you used it for.

I wonder how well breading it holds in moisture. Ive only had Country fried steak once. It was like eating a hockey puck.

No doubt i had a bad experience, but i live in the east coast. Im sure down south it would have been a lot better.

Gotta have the gravy, especially if it seems tough. Simmer it in the gravy for awhile with the lid on and it will help it tenderize more.

I like sirloin to make it with, I bought a Kitchener that has plates for tenderizing and slicing jerky, haven't had time to make anything with it yet due to life other than a function test 1 time that worked great.

Back