what's 25 degrees ...

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Jason
So I'm cooking a ton of BBQ tomorrow for the FSU/Bama game with a bunch of friends coming over around 6-6:30. ( 2 briskets, 2 butts, 8 racks of spares, and some sausages plus hot dogs for the kids)

I plan to start around 6am for the big meats and go 300 after an hour or so super low for some smoke instead of my usual 275 cruising temp to give me some wiggle room wanting to be sliced, chopped, pulled, and in the foil pans in the cambro by 5:30PM at the latest.

How much will running at 300 versus 275 change my overall times? I'm GUESSING 7-9 hours instead of 8-10 for the briskets and pork shoulders?

How about st. louis spares? maybe 3-4 hours instead of 4-5?

Any thoughts so I can be done and ready to watch football but keep the quality up is appreciated!!

That’s probably a good guess on them briskets and shoulders. The spares might go faster. I cook at 250 at comps in my drums and my spares are done is 3 - 3 1/2 hours with foiling.

on the big meats use your normal timing and cook at 300. they will benefit from an extra hour or 2 of holding and that leaves time to get other things done or save you if they take longer than expected. i would shave an hour or 1.5 hours off the ribs. depends on if are getting directly heat or not. i did a cook last weekend for a friend. he brought me 3 17LB select briskets that i cooked at 300. 1 was done right at 7 hours and the other 2 about 10 hours. they were some stubborn mother-farkers. :heh:

I cook STL spare at 325 on the smoker. I'm looking for bend and toothpick tender after around 2.5 hours. 300? Maybe 3 and change hours, but keep an eye on them.

Pork shoulders at 300? 7 to 9 hours sounds reasonable, but butts are done when they're done.

Back