What to buy: Woodwind Pro, Masterbuilt Gravity 800, Chargriller Gravity 980?

carpetbagger1

Knows what a fatty is.
What say you farkers?

I want one of these fancy new devices, but I want to be able to produce pronounced smoke too. I have a Weber gasser, and in an ideal world, the new purchase would replace that.

Here are some pros/cons I've gathered:

Woodwind Pro:
Pros - Can crank up smoke. Ease of use.
Cons - The wife won't like the price. If going to use as regular grill, would like a higher sear temp without having to spend more $ on the side sear station.

Masterbuilt 800:
Pros - Smoke. Flat top.
Cons - I saw a biscuit test which suggested lots of hotspots. Also claims of grease issues/flare ups. Small base cooking area (even on the larger model.)

Chargriller:
Pros - Seems to have more even heat and addresses many of the Masterbuilt problems.
Cons - I've seen videos claiming very poor quality. One video showed the thing wobbling whenever it was touched.

In the end this is about ease of use and taste. All thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

How heavy are you talking even you say “pronounced” smoke? Burp up smoke for hours after a meal pronounced? If you’re coming from a gasser anything is gonna be more pronounced, IMO. Have you had smoked meats from stick burners or charcoal/chunk smokers? Just trying to get a feel for what the term “pronounced” means to you.

Pellets are light and clean. Either you really enjoy that flavor or you don’t. I find many do, but not all.

The charcoal cookers you’re looking at will lay down WAY more smoke if that’s what you want. To much smoke can become bitter though, so you’ll have to experiment with your happy place on the spectrum. I’ve had chicken from a MB gravity cooker. It was really good.

Between the cookers you’re looking at, one of my biggest criteria would be performance, service after the sale, longevity, and reliability. IMO, the CampChef is gonna pull way ahead in those areas.

Just some of my thoughts. Take them for what they’re worth… lol.

I prefer heavy layers of smoke. Obviously that's not an option with most pellet smokers, which is why these three models are so interesting. My primary smoker is a UDS, vs 4.0.

I'm most interested in hearing from people who have used, owned, or eaten off any of these smokers. I'd love to hear real world, first person experience on them.

If you are used to a UDS you will not be happy with smoke flavor from any of those you listed.
I respectfully disagree, well mostly, if he has realistic expectations. I just bought the woodwind pro and it does a great job. While not on the same level as the UDS it satisfies the smoke craving. I like a heavier smoke flavor but I needed something a little less time consuming and it sounds like he does as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Look on YouTube. Hey Grill Hey and Anderson's Smoke Show both did a woodwind pro vs Master built gravity fed. Also Mad Scientist did a Woodwind vs Pitts and Spits. All three seem to be really honest reviews.

I respectfully disagree, well mostly, if he has realistic expectations. I just bought the woodwind pro and it does a great job. While not on the same level as the UDS it satisfies the smoke craving. I like a heavier smoke flavor but I needed something a little less time consuming and it sounds like he does as well.

I suppose if he keeps adding wood chunks every 15 minutes to the woodwind he might get a close smoke flavor to a UDS, but that kinda defeats the point of something less time consuming.

I suppose if he keeps adding wood chunks every 15 minutes to the woodwind he might get a close smoke flavor to a UDS, but that kinda defeats the point of something less time consuming.
Not quite sure about 15 minutes. It will hold 12 Kingsford briquettes. Once the bottom few are lit you close the damper and they smolder. It pumps out smoke for about an hour. Yes, you have to reload every hour or so depending on what you use and how heavy smoke you want, so it does add a little time. I work from home and the pellet grill sits right outside my office door and takes me two to three minutes to reload the smoke box. My main issue with my other grills is the clean up, etc. This one, I empty the ash from the cup on bottom, scrape off the grates and I'm done. Every 50 hours of cook time I do a vaccum, etc.

Also, I'm not arguing that it will be close to a UDS, just that it produces a good smoke flavor. I feel like just because it doesn't produce UDS flavor that doesn't mean he won't be happy with it. But that's just my opinion. Also I just wanted to share my experience with the Woodwind Pro. I also like a heavier smoke flavor, as well as my wife, and it has pleased us so far.

Here are a few pics.
d67af65331d2af489dde277180e07616.jpg
1ddbce0084ee6dd54947b54c5ff20563.jpg
d2a09bc6c5a43650ddce7a0558881f3d.jpg
7fd77e0dfdf150a45080ac6bd035e0fb.jpg
214e6a1e70ddbb605320398366a85df3.jpg
c8391877554f4112404583bebe83cb94.jpg
7b1fac5705506be819094b2f039d06e6.jpg

Thanks Weldon, and you are correct, the purpose of the new grill is not to replace the UDS, it is to replace my gasser. The goal is to get more smoke flavor, but in a grill with the quick convenience of a gasser.

Again, I'd really like to hear from people who've actually used these things.

Weldon, I assume if you had it to do over again you'd buy the Woodwind Pro.

How about others?

Who has used the gravity feds?

Are they just as convenient/easy to use as pellet grills?

IMO, if you want a grill with smoke flavor with speed and convenience get a Weber 22" or 26". Cheaper too. Plenty of accessories if you feel the need down the road.

Thanks Weldon, and you are correct, the purpose of the new grill is not to replace the UDS, it is to replace my gasser. The goal is to get more smoke flavor, but in a grill with the quick convenience of a gasser.

Again, I'd really like to hear from people who've actually used these things.

Weldon, I assume if you had it to do over again you'd buy the Woodwind Pro.

How about others?

Who has used the gravity feds?

Are they just as convenient/easy to use as pellet grills?
Yes sir, I would buy it again. To be honest, I was still skeptical even after watching all of the reviews. Smoke preference is very subjective. I still bought the WW Pro and glad I did. The sidekick with sear box was over my budget but I talked my CFO (wife) into an early father's day present. It is a powerful side burner as well. I will eventually get the griddle and pizza oven attachment to use with the sidekick.

I don't know about the performance of the other two but after seeing and feeling them in person I can tell you that the Woodwind should last a lot longer.

Came across this thread while looking for something else and had to chime in.

I have had a Woodwind Pro for a little over a year now. The WWPro will, without much effort, put wayyyy too much smoke on grilled or reverse seared meats. It takes some work to do that with a Weber kettle. If smoke is your thing, it simply isn’t an issue with this cooker.

I have a Masterbuilt gravity feed, but do not use it as much as I use my Oklahoma Joe Bronco Pro (my favorite smoker). The Masterbuilt is very easy to use but as someone said has severe hot spots. I have tried everything to eliminate them but find that they just move around rather than disappear. The Masterbuilt is a pain to clean but must be cleaned often to avoid fires. Smoke you ask? The gravity fed will put on all the smoke you can stand by just putting a wood split on end in the charcoal chute and surround it with charcoal. In fact it will easily over smoke (and I like a slightly heavy smoke). The build quality is poor and it is not designed to last long. Would I buy another one if this one quit today, no I would not. I have a smoked beans recipe I use and the Masterbuilt does a great job on them and is pretty much all I use it for anymore.

I might suggest to not try to take a one will do all approach. Get a weber kettle for searing. Maybe not as convenient as a sear station but will certainly satisfy all your needs and add a lot of extra versatility in the long run.......

Back