Wet aged brisket quick cook

ulc

is one Smokin' Farker
Couple weeks ago I asked if wet aged beef cooked faster than normal beef. Today, I cooked ~2 months wet aged prime brisket. Pre-trim weight was little under 11 lbs. I didn't have to trim much. I applied the rub and injected beef broth into the meat side without thinking. But I like to cook my brisket fat cap up so flipped the brisket when I placed it on Big Kamado Joe this morning at 11:45 am. The Big Joe grate temperature was around 270 F. About an hour and half into the cook, I realized I should've have placed the brisket fat cap down since I had injected on the meat side. But I decided to let it ride. At around 2 hour mark, I placed the brisket into the foil pan and tightly covered it with foil. The grate temp was still around 280 or so and the brisket temp was around 162 F. My wife wanted some sweet potatoes so I placed some around the foil pan. The brisket cooked for another an hour and thirty minutes til 3:15 pm when it hit 205 F. It probed tender pretty much all throughout. I removed the brisket from the smoker and vented the foil pan for little over 10 minutes before wrapping the brisket and placing it in the cooler to rest. It's currently resting waiting. Total cook time for the brisket was 3 hours and 30 minutes.

10.74 pounds
GbXvFkb.jpg

Trimmed
K8r6lDX.jpg

Placed on the smoker fat side up at around 270 F
W4ST6AD.jpg

Brisket color at the 2 hour mark right before I placed it in foil pan and covered it. The brisket temp was around 162 F at this point when I checked with Thermapen. The grate temp was around 280 F. The small foil pan front of the brisket was mac & cheese. I ended up removing it after this picture because the large foil pan for the brisket wouldn't fit with the mac & cheese pan. I replaced it with bunch of sweet potatoes.
kSNp1F5.jpg

Hour and half later, the brisket was done at 205 F.
ER74Iei.jpg

The finished brisket before I re wrapped to place in the cooler to rest. Total cook time of around 3 hours 30 minutes at around 280 F.
dbqU7ez.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds really good Any sliced pics

YrCa7oE.jpg

f7WHYg1.jpg

It was fabulous. The flat was tender and juicy. I saved rest of the flat and the entire point section whole so I can slice it into thin deli style sandwich meat tomorrow.

I basically combined John Lewis's Texas rub with Myron Mixon's brisket cooking method. I cooked this brisket in 3.5 hours. I'm a believer in wet aging and Mr. Mixon's brisket cooking method.

That was really fast! I did a 7 pounder yesterday at 275-300 and it took 7 hours. At 3 hours mine had just started to sweat. Looks like you nailed yours. You guys are gonna force me to try this Myron thing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Looks spot on! I don't think which side you inject through matters to brisket fat up or down when cooking.

That was really fast! I did a 7 pounder yesterday at 275-300 and it took 7 hours. At 3 hours mine had just started to sweat. Looks like you nailed yours. You guys are gonna force me to try this Myron thing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It's the fastest brisket I've cooked. And this is my second brisket cooking Myron's way. The first one I didn't place it in the pan until the 3 hours mark because I thought 2 hours was too early. But this second brisket I decided to follow the 2 hours to see the result. Both briskets turned out great but I think this second brisket attempt was better.

Looks spot on! I don't think which side you inject through matters to brisket fat up or down when cooking.
Thanks! I was thinking the lot of the injection spilled out since I placed the brisket fat side up when I had injected on the meat side. If I placed it fat side down, the injection meat side would've been up and maybe less would've spilled out. But the brisket turned out really juicy and moist so I can't complain.

Last edited:
Back