THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V

Knows what a fatty is.
I’m getting within a few months for my build. I will be getting a 24x55 offset with tuning plates in a pipe pit w/counterweight door. I don’t travel with my pit and it will need to move across my yard to get to my patio. If I go wagon wheel it will have a 3/8” FB but no warmer to aid moving around the yard. Will a modified trailer, same pit w/warmer move on grass on flat ground with a Shirley dolly? This would be a must have to get the trailer. I don’t really need a warmer but for just a little more money could have that and the trailer.
Peter

I actually started w/straight back cab, insulated firebox, modified trailer. I have a 20x42 Klose(too small) and it’s coal base is very small in Louisiana and realized insulated was out. Tyler’s first suggestion was no insulated box also. He was right. I’ve gotten through what I thought I wanted to what I really want. I really need to know which will work better in my backyard.

I would think the modified trailer would be more stable if you have any hills or uneven ground. You are gonna have a unique sf. You don't see many new non-cabinet models and even fewer non-reverse flow. If space is an issue the cabinet model would give you more cooking space in a smaller footprint..."For just a little more". :heh:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I’m in southwest Louisiana and everything is flat out here, just pitched enough for runoff. My wife and I stopped in Alabama and Shirley Fab’s work is top notch. I am stuck on pipe pits. The 55 will have plenty room.

they are very heavy to move no matter what but you could get a modified trailer and hook it up to a lawn mower with a hitch and no work at all .

You never know when you will need to travel with it. I’m sure you will get a few requests from family and friends to smoke some Q for them, and you might even get an itch to get in on some competitions. I think a trailer is the only way to go. Tyler can fabricate a detachable or fold-down wheel up front, and there you will have your patio model as well! Who said you can’t have your cake and ice cream too? :grin:

My view is likely to be unusual, but unless you plan to tow it around a lot I would not get the trailer. IMHO, personally, I don't like the look of a trailer smoker in the context of a backyard smoker, like sitting on the patio or in the backyard. It looks to me like it belongs in the garage or on the driveway. Plus, the warmer is likely to add a good bit of weight. Plus, the trailer components (tires, wheels, lights, wiring) are going to require extra periodic maintenance for something you're not taking advantage of because you said you're not going to tow it. And, of course, its more expensive.

Since you don't need the trailer or warmer, I would leave them out, enjoy the lower cost, lighter weight, and missing trailer maintenance, and speak with the fabricator about the best wheel options for your needs. I'm sure they have alternatives, and the biggest and best of these will still be cheaper than the trailer + warmer. I've had two stickburners for 25+ years and, although they're not as big as yours, they are very heavy, have very tiny wheels, and are a pain to move thru the grass -- but I've never wished either was trailered. I'll bet the Shirleys now offer much more practical wheel choices.

On the other hand, from perusing this forum in the past it looks to me, as I said, that my views are unusual; most folks seem to really like the trailer look, enjoy or at least don't mind the trailer maintenance, and are willing to accept the extra weight and higher cost in order to have a warmer. If this is you, then go for it.

I don't have plans to tow with it. I do believe the wagon wheel setup will be nicer in my backyard. I will see if Tyler can build a hitch to replace the handle that I can use to pull with my lawnmower when needed. I had my heart set on the golf cart tires but will probably take Paul's advice and go to 12" wheels. I'm still a couple months away, we'll see if this sticks this time.

they are very heavy to move no matter what but you could get a modified trailer and hook it up to a lawn mower with a hitch and no work at all .

Truth...if you will be moving it much at all, even if it's around your property, get the trailer. If you'll ever want to take it off property, trailer is a no brainer. It's a lot of work rolling a wagon wheel or golf cart smoker onto another trailer to move it. I won't do it again until the day I drive down to Tuscaloosa and have my golf cart converted to a trailer.

One day it snowed and I couldn't even get it back into my garage by myself and my driveway is perfectly flat.

I don't have plans to tow with it. I do believe the wagon wheel setup will be nicer in my backyard. I will see if Tyler can build a hitch to replace the handle that I can use to pull with my lawnmower when needed. I had my heart set on the golf cart tires but will probably take Paul's advice and go to 12" wheels. I'm still a couple months away, we'll see if this sticks this time.

you can still buy custom golf cart wheels and tires that are 12" too that look cool .

Back