Visited Franklin BBQ today

Tried Lewis BBQ while in Charleston, that place is cool. Obviously the same basics as Franklins and La barbecue IE awesome brisket and ribs. However what I really liked about Lewis' was they had some unusual options for a bbq place like prime rib, beef n cheddar sandwiches etc. also they have a full bar where you can pull up a seat and relax.

I am not sure how they will do compared to locations in austin, carolina's, Tennessee etc. However if you put out a quality product its almost a guaranteed success

This is great! I waited several hours last weekend for the Stanley Cup so I'm totally cool waiting for BBQ if I ever get to Franklin's. In both situations I think it does come down to the people around you and the people you're with. If you're with friends having a good time who cares what it's for.

Tried Lewis BBQ while in Charleston, that place is cool. Obviously the same basics as Franklins and La barbecue IE awesome brisket and ribs. However what I really liked about Lewis' was they had some unusual options for a bbq place like prime rib, beef n cheddar sandwiches etc. also they have a full bar where you can pull up a seat and relax.

I am not sure how they will do compared to locations in austin, carolina's, Tennessee etc. However if you put out a quality product its almost a guaranteed success

The negative Yelp reviews of his place in Charleston are funny. It seems some people who go there have no idea who he is, and some who simply don't "get it". They expect truck stop BBQ sandwiches with sauce and cheap prices. One guy who claimed he was from Texas (his profile said Nevada) gave it 2 Stars because there was no BBQ sauce and bitched that good BBQ REQUIRES sauce.

One guy from NYC went there and ordered like one slice of brisket, then complained "This is bad BBQ" and left 1 Star rating.

Another person "I don't think its on anyone's best ever list but it's quality" clearly not knowing who John Lewis is and I guess being the pitmaster at Franklin and LaBarbecue while being at the op of Texas Monthly does not count.. LOL....

Another guy says the sausage is from the grocery store. LOL..

The people who complain about price are the people who have never ordered BBQ by the pound before and don't know what a pound of brisket or ribs looks like. They end up ordering $50 worth of food, can't finish half of it then complain it was too expensive.

Another 2 Star complaint "And speaking of the price, all the money you'll spend here you would think you could get a plate but instead they just give you a piece of paper to eat your food on. Yes a piece of paper".(obviously served Franklin style on butcher paper).

Another: They want you to buy too much stuff. LOL Nobody is forcing you to buy anything pal.

Another complaint: "Brisket was too greasy. Just not one of my favorites. Nice decor and atmosphere just not crazy for the food.". Lady obviously is used to dried out, flavorless commercial BBQ.

Complaint: "I ate lunch here with a friend and while the food was OK it was not worth what they are charging. I ordered a sandwich, potato salad and sweet tea. This cost me around $20." If you go to a place like that and order a sandwich, you should have your tray slapped out of your hands.

Last edited:
Waiting in line for something we Love is not crazy. It makes perfect sense to me!!

I will be first in line when I get there on my next trip :)

We were there February last year on a Wednesday morning 7 AM we got there first in line, next people came about five after seven

Back