UDS questions

Hutch114

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Eric
Hey all, I'll get to the point quick. Started on a Brinkmann a long time ago, then made my own UDS with a charcoal basket about 6-7 years ago. I've done butts, ribs, brisket, turkey, prime rib, etc. over the years with good results. At least I think it's been good. But not great. And I feel the biggest reason is the amount of white smoke I'm getting out of my UDS. I started with KBB, then used various kinds of lump, recently using strictly Stubbs. I've used fist sized blocks of hardwood either soaked or dry, used smaller "chips" soaked or dry. It usually takes AT LEAST AN HOUR AFTER getting to temp (275) for the TBS to come about, and then adding my meat will cause more white smoke to return for awhile. I've cleaned the drum, left it dirty, used different vent configurations at the bottom, always keeping the top vents on the kettle lid wide open during the cook, even adding more vent holes on the lid. I keep coming back to the white smoke problem being the charcoal that I use. I settled on Stubbs because I like the aroma, definitely better than KBB. But most of my cooks taste a little too "charcoal-ly" for my liking. Friends and family like it, at least that's what they tell me. I think I can do better. Any ideas?

I am not an expert, but there is a lot more white smoke on a UDS because the juices from the meat is dripping coals. Have you tried placing a water pan directly under the meat to catch the drippings?

White smoke is from little flavor bombs of fat dripping into the coals. Same concept and similar flavor to open pit barbecue.

I think the initial long length of white smoke has to do with how you are lighting and bringing your UDS up to temp. I can go from lighting the charcoal in the starter chimney to TBS or no smoke in about 45-hour usually.

If you are wanting to avoid the additional white smoke from the fat hitting the coals, there are a couple things that you could do. I run a perforated pizza pan on top of my coal basket to act as a diffuser/deflector. If I'm doing a longer cook, I'll generally run it with a drip pan on the grate below the butt or brisket. With ribs or chicken I typically just run it with the diffuser over the basket and let it rip.

clay flower pot saucer filled with white rice, great diffuser and absorbs the fat dripppins, no white acrid fat smoke

When I read this, I immediately remembered when i first acquired my pbc and after 3 cooks, following their lighting instructions to a “T” my food still tasted acrid. After coming on here, and having multiple discussions about lighting methods, I realized that it was the lighting method used.

When you light your coals, and sprinkle them over and on top of the fire basket, you will not get a clean burn. Basic thermodynamics is a small, hot fire will burn cleaner than individual coals spread out. That could be your problem. Even then, I wanted an upgraded platform so I, rather my wife, bought a 22” wsm.

After getting the wsm, I used a FULL water pan with beer, broth, veggies, really whatever needed used in the fridge that could add “taste”. After multiple cooks, all of which never broke 225° bc of fighting water temps, I decided to stop using liquids. My thinking was this was a close second to using a RF stick burner. The fat dripping onto a baffle and sizzling off. The taste was a touch different, not bad, but not good either. So, I decided to direct smoke some pork steaks one day without using anything, essentially turning my wsm into a uds, kinda.

This cook, with the fat from the pork steaks, and the buttered and beered bbq sauce dripping onto the coals was heaven. Idk what it was, but it was sooooooo good. So then I used that to smoke a steak prior to searing. Once again it was phenomenal. And ever since, I have no use for my water pan. I’ve cooked shoulders, ribs, brisket, chops, fish, and much more direct smoked.

It’s to the point now where my wsm is my go to. And that’s over my pbc, 22” kettle with a cast iron grate, and the lovely glen blue 26” kettle.

If you watcb chudds bbq on YouTube, it’s the same concept as his chudd pit. Also same concept as “pit style” bbq used in the olden days.

I'd also recommend a diffuser. I use a LavaLock Firedial in mine sitting on top of the fire basket. It evens out the temps nicely and the drippings hit the diffuser instead of direct to the coals.

Honestly, stop using wood...or at least give it a try. You can also try using fully lit coals...like traditional pit barbecue. It'll be fun adding more when you need them, but it'll give you a pit barbecue taste.

This is how I use my WSM most of the time...but at least I have a side door.

Thanks everyone for all the comments, I really appreciate it. I have used a pizza plate diffuser perforated before, but not every time and never seemed to see a difference. I may try to snag a clay pot saucer and try that route, I've heard of putting sand in it but never heard of using rice.

Thanks everyone for all the comments, I really appreciate it. I have used a pizza plate diffuser perforated before, but not every time and never seemed to see a difference. I may try to snag a clay pot saucer and try that route, I've heard of putting sand in it but never heard of using rice.

sand that has absorbed fat can "pop" if it's too close to the fire and can hit the underside of the meat on the grate if it's too close
no one wants to deal with sand around a smoker or grill, accidents can happen, which leads to bad results

Back