THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Schmoke

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
"Hey, YOU!"
I have concluded, the only way for me to cook a meal with eight turkey thighs ... is to purchase four turkeys.

Plenty of megamarts around me, no place sells just thighs. I see ground turkey, breasteses, and occasional drumsticks and wings. Never thighs.

None at Restaurant Depot last time I looked. I *heard* that I can find thighs at WalMart, but I saw none. Whoa, look at the prices on Amazon. 'Double certified organic'. I'll pass.

The thigh is the best part! Is Big Food buying up all the turkey thighs to put in their pot pies & TV dinners?

I hope ground turkey, isn't ground thigh meat. What a waste if so.

Is there a reliable source for turkey thighs?

A local grocery chain near me usually has them. From what I can gather based on the variety of turkey parts in the bin, they just break down several whole turkeys and "part them out".

Could be cheaper to buy 4 turkeys anyway. The sum of the parts is more than the whole.Turkey legs smothered in BBQ sauce isn't a bad thing. Wings in buffalo sauce. Leaving you the carcass/white meat. Make pot pie filling and dump it over some fresh biscuits. If you want to go for 100% utilization - anything left goes into a stock pot to make broth for use in future cooks/gravies. I guess there's some freezing going on, that's a lot of food - but at least you'll satisfy your craving for thighs.

I can find Turkey Thighs at my local Publix grocery store most of the year. Drums and Wings too.
If you go the Whole Turkey route, think about smoking the Hind Quarters, either whole or Thigh and Drums separately. You would get 8 large pieces from 2 Turkeys. 4 wings for your Lunch too.
You can bone and freeze the Breasts for later.

Usually around holidays like easter and thanksgiving you can find parted out Turkeys. I like to buy the legs to make cured/smoked turkey legs like you get at county fairs and carnivals.

I know i have seen thighs and wings and split breasts parted out as well.

Check the market that specialize in different ethnic specialties. There are a couple places around here that cater to asian and latin cultures that generally have them.

Back