THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
Even though our Thanksgiving turkey was only an 11 lb'er, there was still quite a bit of leftover turkey. What to do with it other than the usual turkey sandwiches, turkey soup, turkey pot pie, turkey whatever?

Chef John (foodwishes.com) posted a recent YouTube video on Turkey Tamale Pie, which looked good and was a dish I've never attempted.

Some of the ingredients -

Saute the onions, red peppers and Poblano peppers -

Add the Chile peppers in Adobo Sauce, cumin and oregano -

Add in the diced turkey, then grated cheddar was added -

Into the casserole pan -

And topped with a cornbread mixture and more grated cheddar -

And out onto the Goldens' Cast Iron to bake at around 350 or so -

It was done, cornbread topping was set up perfectly after about 45 minutes -

Doesn't really need to rest but it's somewhat pretty as it cools a bit! -

Plated, served with sour cream and green onion -

It was quite good, not as juicy as in Chef John's video but it didn't need to be. Some good heat, the only Enchilada sauce I could find was mild and that turned out just fine.

Thanks for checking out this thread on Thanksgiving leftovers!

Regards,
-lunchman

Thanks all. It was quite good, but I was a bit disappointed that it was a bit too dry. Now that I look back at the recipe I see it calls for a 15 oz can of Enchilada sauce, I used a 10 oz can, though I'm sure that wasn't the sole reason. I should have been paying more attention to how "soupy" the mixture was, next time I'll adjust it, perhaps by adding more chicken stock.

And the Goldens' was probably a tad hotter than it should have been. I should have checked it earlier than 45 minutes. Recommended baking time was 45-60 minutes. Live and learn.

At least we have some good leftovers from it and I can always doctor it to add some moisture when it's reheated.

Bottom line: It was fun to make, tastes good and that's all that counts!

-Dom

That looks great. :thumb:

I watched that Food Wishes video and wanted to try it as well. My problem is that I didn't cook a turkey so I was limited to a small amount of leftovers that our host had sent home with us.

That looks great. :thumb:

I watched that Food Wishes video and wanted to try it as well. My problem is that I didn't cook a turkey so I was limited to a small amount of leftovers that our host had sent home with us.

As I was thinking about what I'd do differently the next time I make this, I realized I probably won't have turkey. Chicken, leftover brisket, ground beef, ground pork, ground chicken, ground turkey (if it ever comes off the Salmonella list), etc. would all be good in this dish.

I've made quite a few of Chef John's recipes, one that I liked and the Mrs hated, was his Tourtiere Meat Pie. I found it somewhat challenging to make due to the number of steps, and it turned out great. Baked indoors rather than attempting it out on the grill. Mrs lunchman simply doesn't like meat pies. Her loss. (Though it did take me quite a few days to finish off an entire meat pie). :razz:

Back