Trained by Sam Jones on wood fired whole hog!

RenegadePitBoy

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Hello from North Carolina!!

My name is John and I am one of the pitmasters for Sam Jones BBQ in Greenville, NC.. We have the same whole pig product as Skylight Inn(trained here a month before the new place opened), except we use more modern cookers and cook a larger variety of food. In the pit house I cook pigs, turkey breast, whole chickens, ribs and chicken wings. We use Sam's custom grills he had BQ Grills make and we also have a J&R smoke master oven for our Ribs and chicken. I recently was flown to NY for the Big Apple BBQ block party with Sam and a team of people representing both our restaurant and Skylight... It was fun, but lots of hard work.. I cooked 15 pigs and 64 shoulders/butts in two long days.. (BTW I had some beef ribs from I believe Homestead in NY.. To die for!)It's a good job, well customers treat you like a star.. Very thankful and full of wonder. It's a dirty, hot.. Extremely hot.. Hard job.. Well hard because of elements you deal with.. The pay isn't great.. but I'm from Baltimore so I'm used to a bit more than they pay down here! It's also awesome that we often have tv cameras here and get to meet some "important" people! I personally have been on a local news channel and in NY I was interviewed by a Russian Travel channel. Recently I have been considering getting a crew together for competitions... Hope you all don't mind if I flood you with pics and any other information as it comes to me!!! Happy Grilling all!!

I tried uploading some photos, a few times.. It would do one, but if I tried anymore it said something about a security token missing.. I'll share a bunch as soon as I can figure it out!

John. welcome to the forum from sunny SE Az.

Welcome aboard John!

Looking forward to seeing your pics.

Welcome to The Brethren John. I was there at the Big Apple BBQ. Hope you guys become regulars.

Attachments

• DSC03808.jpg
    DSC03808.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC03809.jpg
    DSC03809.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC03820.jpg
    DSC03820.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 24
Welcome to the forum from down here in Victoria.
Nice friendly bunch here that are very sharing with information.
Enjoy your time here, I sure have

Back