THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

There's some great advice and some great looking wings here. The best contribution I have is to ditch the party wings in favor of whole wings - nib included. The nib serves two purposes:
1) Saucing / moving handle
2) Doneness gauge. When that nib tears away from the flat, you're done. Don't bother with time or temp - look for nib tear.

While good cooking advice im sure, whole wings just doesn't give me that "grab at both ends and dig in" feel. Its for this same reason i prefer to go to a Chinese buffet and eat the wings, rather then order chicken wings on the takeout menu. For some reason they give you whole wings at takeout, but not buffet.

OP here with the last report:

Today Friday, I lunched on the wings that got 7 minutes of IP time on Wednesday night, then went into the fridge to dry out the skins a bit. So, 1 1/2 days of drying -- just the way things worked out. I put them under the oven broiler for 3 minutes then turned them for 1 1/2 minutes. Really quite good and (finally!) no longer tough. So I think our next experiment will be 15 minutes in the IP, dry for a day or so, then under the broiler with sauce near the end. Or maybe finish on the Weber.

I'm not sure about using a rub in the IP as it would seem that the steam would just wash it off. We'll see.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I do a lot of wings. One of the biggest problems is size consistency. I've had the best luck with consistent sizes with smart chicken so far. They are already separated from the wing and drummette and I have had no pin feathers or weird wings.

Back