Took a Comp Cooking Class

mcyork28

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
I took a hands on competition cooking class last Sunday, it was a birthday present from my wife. I don't know if I will ever compete or not but it was fun. Harry Soo actually ended up being there and spent a few minutes in my tent filming and giving pointers.

None of my friends were able to go so I was teamed up another solo student. It was very hands on and run like a mock competition. It was put on by the PNWBA and they ran a judging class simultaneously. The instructors were all competitors and would roam around and help out with advise. We ended up getting a second place call in brisket. I think there were 8 teams.

Was an early morning.
M6FFICQl.jpg

Brisket Demo
fpjxxJ2l.jpg

Pork Demo
92WdlGNl.jpg

10AM Jack Shots
DxAEoYVl.jpg

Birthday Cake For Harry Soo
qlyRRa0l.jpg

Tent Area
9YXQjIGl.jpg

Thanks

Matt

Very nice, and your wife is a keeper! I guess you guys are accustomed to the rainy weather in the PNW, but great to see the spirits were high and the class a success. Congrats on the brisket call.

I guess I'm a little bit confused on all this comp stuff....as stated in an earlier post, comp style ribs and brisket etc.. is something you would never serve to your friends and family...so what's the point??

I have 0 interest in competing, but that sounds like a class I'd want to take! I'm sure you still learned a lot that can help with your home cooking. That is a really clever setup.

I guess I'm a little bit confused on all this comp stuff....as stated in an earlier post, comp style ribs and brisket etc.. is something you would never serve to your friends and family...so what's the point??

Because you might want to try your hand at competition barbecue at some point? There is plenty of commonality between being a successful competition cook that will lend itself to making you a better backyard cook.

OP, that’s a unique and interesting way to run a class. The one I took was more instructor/student based where he ran through his methods and reasonings, did prep and serving/boxing demos, and showed us some things about the pit - but the cook itself was managed by another person who handled things while the instruction was occurring. It basically followed the timelines of a KCBS comp but as a student there was no hands on. I was fine with that because I was mainly there for methods and reasons, then I took what I learned and applied it to my own practice cooks. I can see how a mock competition might be a good way to teach. Looks like you had a good time. :thumb:

My friends and family love comp style food. Why wouldn't you serve it to them?

I actually think comp style food is perfect for a tailgate or other party where people aren't sitting down to a full meal, but snacking while watching the game and drinking some beers.

If you don't think comp food is good, it probably isn't good comp food either, in my experience.

OP, that’s a unique and interesting way to run a class. The one I took was more instructor/student based where he ran through his methods and reasonings, did prep and serving/boxing demos, and showed us some things about the pit - but the cook itself was managed by another person who handled things while the instruction was occurring. It basically followed the timelines of a KCBS comp but as a student there was no hands on. I was fine with that because I was mainly there for methods and reasons, then I took what I learned and applied it to my own practice cooks. I can see how a mock competition might be a good way to teach. Looks like you had a good time. :thumb:

I've done both, and they certainly have different advantages.

I think that's a great format, it looks like there was some instruction/demonstration first, then the class was broken down into teams which got more personal direction? Was there any kind of roundtable at the end where you visited with other teams?

I took a competition cooks class about 10 years ago and still use many of the techniques I learned for my backyard cooking... it was totally worth it.

I can definitely see advantages to both. The hands on aspect of being on a timeline and tending an offset while simultaneously listening to instruction while possibly loosing your coal bed added a slightly stressful element at times. There is something to be said for being able to focus on the instruction alone. I think they are both valuable experiences.

Like I said, I don't know if I will ever enter a contest or not. I might just for fun. I just wanted to learn a little and have a good time with a group of bbq folks.

I've done both, and they certainly have different advantages.

IMnotalwaysHO

Comp style Q is good too! Basically, you are amping up the flavor and juiciness of the food by making it competition style. Choosing your own way of doing this at home, doesn't mean you have to make it the same as what a competition team does.
Maybe you only inject? Maybe you use better techniques? Some people dont want to have comp style Q. That is cool! I swing both ways.

I am always learning and take something away from every class, sometimes to use at home, sometimes to use at comps.

As far as not serving competition BBQ to my family, they all line up for anything that we have left!

I serve Comp bbq to friends and family all the time. My father-in-law has paid me for comp brisket before. Whatever you think “comp bbq” is seems to be wrong.

Sounds like a fun class. Did you feel rushed or was there enough time to digest (pun intended) the information? Would you do it again?

I did feel a little rushed some of the time. I would do it again but I would bring a UDS or two instead of the offset. That would have eliminated the tending the fire aspect which would have freed me up to concentrate on what was being taught more.

Sounds like a fun class. Did you feel rushed or was there enough time to digest (pun intended) the information? Would you do it again?

Back