Thoughts on UDS Build

Willowe1980

Got Wood.
Name or Nickame
Will
So I have basically finished my UDS build. I did a dry run last weekend and it held 275 for about 7 hours on 10# of lump ,before it started raining. Pretty good I think. I wanted to take a minute to talk about my build. More so the innards. I had an old Weber 22 Kettle. I knew I wanted to use the lid but didnt want to waste the bottom. So I cut the lip off, cut the legs to 6 inches and am now using it has my "Charcoal Basket" inside the UDS. From what I can tell it works pretty good. Thoughts? Anyone with a UDS see anything potentially negative about this build?

I would say that as long as the holes in the bottom of the charcoal pan, will allow plenty of air in from your intakes, there is nothing wrong with it. Particularly, I would look into making sure if you don't have the pans intake holes on the same side as the intake holes of the barrel, will you get bad airflow vs. keeping them inline. (if that makes sense?) If it was me, I would cut more holes in the pan just to make sure there is enough air flow but I might be overthinking it?

If you want to do long 12+ hrs cooks. I would expect using the weber bottom, the coals would choke out from the ash build up.
But I could be wrong.

This one with a kettle bottom has been kicking around the internet for years. There is access for ash removal.
magnum1.jpg

Back