Thoughts on a build

haunas

Knows what a fatty is.
From one of the guys I work with he had this thick steel pipe. Thoughts of making a stick burner with it. Love the UDS esp set and forget but really want to try offset/stick burning. This thing is thick and heavy and being in Hawaii not certain I need an insulated firebox. Possibly for safety of my kids and if so I have a friend who has a 100 gallon stand up propane tank I can get and put that internal to another pipe. Just gotta run to the recycling yard sometime to see what scraps I can get. Fed need to sandblast it after I get it piece together.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 114
That wil work, looks to be a 24" pipe, probably 3/8" wall thickness, maybe 4'-5' long? Just incase you are not aware of it here is a link to the Feldon pit calculator.
http://www.feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html
This will give you a pretty good start on firebox, exhaust and other dimensions; I like to try and hit about 105%-110% of the Feldon recommendations. Insulated firebox not critical but certainly a plus for fuel consumption and safety (it will still get hot but not melt-your-skin hot). Best of luck!

Thanks Dave. Aware of Feldon's and the ratios which I was playing with a little bit. I know some guys prefer the vertical stickburners and some the horizontal stickburners. Already got and been using an UDS for awhile and enjoy it just want to try stick burning and if the metal is near free or cheap then I am all for it.

Thoughts on the rust? Remove most of it with a grinder and flap disc before closing the ends or just get it welded up and have a sandblaster blast it all?

Rust can be easily removed with a grinder and a wire wheel for it.. Material that thick the rust isn't bad at all

Thoughts on the rust? Remove most of it with a grinder and flap disc before closing the ends or just get it welded up and have a sandblaster blast it all?

You can do either but I like to have it blasted clean so I can get better welds & cuts. If it develops a light rust during fabrication I don't find that is really a problem for seasoning or paint.

Back