THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reading things like this is why I have no desire to own a pellet grill. I get the fact that it's pretty much set it and forget it but there are too many things that can go wrong with these things for me to trust them. I don't have the patience to wait and get this type of stuff ironed out, especially for the price you have to give for them. Maybe some day I will change my mind but not at this time.

I hope you get it lined out, especially for the money you put down. I guess I like the KISS concept when it comes to grills and smokers.

Reading things like this is why I have no desire to own a pellet grill. I get the fact that it's pretty much set it and forget it but there are too many things that can go wrong with these things for me to trust them. I don't have the patience to wait and get this type of stuff ironed out, especially for the price you have to give for them. Maybe some day I will change my mind but not at this time.

I hope you get it lined out, especially for the money you put down. I guess I like the KISS concept when it comes to grills and smokers.

I think there is a level of OCD that comes along with smokers which have electronics and some folks invent issues. This is a relatively minor issue and should easily be addressed. If you want set it and forget, for the most part, pellet smokers deliver. This is a new product and a drastic change in design from their previous smokers. It will get ironed out and once you have a pellet smoker that's working reasonably well, you'll appreciate it at certain times.

Just my two cents.

I think there is a level of OCD that comes along with smokers which have electronics and some folks invent issues. This is a relatively minor issue and should easily be addressed. If you want set it and forget, for the most part, pellet smokers deliver. This is a new product and a drastic change in design from their previous smokers. It will get ironed out and once you have a pellet smoker that's working reasonably well, you'll appreciate it at certain times.

Just my two cents.

I guess I have been spoiled by my Good One Marshall and Open Range because they are both pretty much set it and forget it and I also don't really worry about temps as long as they stay between 225-275.

I get that there will be teething problems on a new product. I guess I'm just too impatient to have to wait for a fix, especially on something I'm cooking food on.

I'm not saying I will never have a pellet grill but at this time, I don't feel the need for one. I have a friend at work that just got his first pellet grill(Traeger, not sure what model) but he thinks it's the best thing ever and from the looks of the pictures he has posted, puts out some great food.

I saw some posts on here about the Traeger Timberline 1300. I've been a long time pellet smoker guy, though I have a big variety of cookers. My first pellet cooker with a Cookshack PG1000 and I expanded from there. I decided to part with my PG1000 (will be posting it for sale) and was going to buy a FEC120 for moderate cooks. Then I saw some posts about the Timberline 1300 on here.

I found a Traeger dealer here in Sacramento called Emigh's Outdoor Living. They are a Traeger platinum dealer, so I decided to swing by today to see what the place was all about. Upon pulling up, I see a Traeger PRO 34 outside cooking and a Timberline 1300 sitting next to it, under a Traeger EZ-UP. For those in Sacramento who want to take a look, they have three Timberlines to look at for reference. Two 1300's and an 850. When I walked in, was greeted by a very nice lady named Lynda and she asked what I was looking for. I told her I wanted to check out a Timberline 1300 and she pointed me to it in the showroom. My first impressions were that Traeger has come a LONG way with this cooker because I never would have bought a Traeger in the past. It's vastly improved over their prior products. Is it Yoder sturdy? No. But it's more than sufficient for a backyard smoker and MUCH better than their prior offerings. The grates are very heavy duty stainless and overall the fit and finish on the cooker is nice. It's not a lightweight either by any means. Just ask my back!

I figured they wouldn't have stock (so it was safe for me to visit the showroom) and at first request, she said they had the 850 but did not have the 1300. I asked about lead time and she went to check. She comes back and says they had just gotten four or five 1300's into their warehouse, so I was in luck if I wanted to buy one. Being an impulse buyer, the rubber worm and hook were in my mouth and I bit like a hungry Bass. haha. I bought the 1300, cover (which is backordered), drip tray liners and another pack of grease trap inserts. It was a bit less than $2,300 out the door with CA tax. Big props to this place, they are super helpful and very nice. I'll be going back for other stuff and they have an assortment of rubs and pellets should I ever have an emergency need. They also sell other brands of pellet smokers. After paying, I headed over to their warehouse, which is about five miles away to pick it up. They helped me load it into my 2015 Explorer and I headed home.

Let's just say that having two people is highly, highly recommended for unloading and assembly. Unfortunately, since this was an impulse buy, I had nobody around to help me and my patience is not very good. After breaking my back and sweating like crazy (thanks Cali weather), I got it assembled in about an hour. Hoisting it upright was the hardest part for me, but I got it. It went together easily with extra hardware being included (nice touch). All of the bolts lined up and they provide all of the tools you need to assemble it. There were no missing parts or any issues to report during assembly.

Connecting it to WIFI is easy using their app and the onscreen menu on the smoker. Mine came with the latest firmware, so I didn't need to perform any updates. I loaded it with 100% hickory pellets from Cookinpellets and primed the auger. I then went through the ignition cycle after spraying the grates with some coconut oil. It's heating up to 225 degrees for it's initial burnin, and I'll ramp it up to 350 degrees in a bit to burn off anything in the cooking chamber. Some people said it smokes like crazy on it's first ignition cycle, but mine didn't do anything crazy.

More to come as I get it seasoned and get some cooks under my belt.

20170709141600-7fa44b13-me.jpg

20170709141604-95f1eb36-me.jpg

20170709141610-e95443b4-me.jpg

20170709141612-b84992a4-me.jpg

20170709141614-64ebbf5f-me.jpg

20170709141621-934dfe5b-me.jpg

20170709141619-62983fb9-me.jpg

20170709141626-6a72acbe-me.jpg

20170709141630-e23d9419-me.jpg

20170709141633-c8316f90-me.jpg
That is great as looking to buy one and ship abroad! Can you help me in telling me the dimensions of the box it came in?? and the shipping weight if you know it. it would be really helpful!!! The timberline 1300.
Thanks for any feedback and any updates on how it's been doing!
Thanks, Jeff

Back