Talk me out of buying Camp Chef Woodwind 24 with Sear Box

Bob C Cue

Quintessential Chatty Farker
So on another thread I asked about the best pellet grills at $2000 and $1000. Several suggested the Camp Chef at the $1k mark. I was not at all familiar with the cooker but after reading the suggestions and doing more research, I found that it was often ranked at that price as one of the best units.

Now I love my PBC and will never part with it, but I am beginning to see the benefits of a pellet grill for its convenience especially for week night cooks.

The bottom line is I don't really need another cooker so Brethren please do what you do best, talk me out of spending my money.

Oh and by the way, if you have another suggestion for a pellet grill feel free to post that as well.

Thanks

https://www.campchef.com/woodwind-wifi-24-with-sear-box.html

How important is Wifi to you ? Cuz on that Woodwind, you will be paying about $200 for that feature. And the sear box can be bought separately for $100 , if that's an important feature.

I was on the verge of pulling the trigger on this Camp Chef

https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-PG...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Its doesn't have the stainless steel construction as the Woodwind, but I'm not in a humid climate

It doesn't have Wifi and I could not care less. Controlling the cooker from other places, not something I'm gonna pay a lot for.

And it doesn't have the sear station , which can be bought separately .

It had the features I thought I'd use and none of the features I thought I did not need.

But I found a Masterbuilt 560 on sale for $250 and that ended my pellet grill aspirations.

Now why would we talk you out of the Camp Chef when we just suggested it?!?! “Someone’s” been inhaling to much hickory smoke... lol. Tell ya what, give me your credit card info/shipping address and I’ll help ya out... :)

At $1000 there are going to be a lot of necessary design compromises. Each company that offers a unit in this price range will have taken a different path, weighing which features it asks the import manufacturer to include and which to omit. Overall quality will be about the same but one company will have specified more stainless steel, another better casters, another a bigger hopper, another horn-shaped handles, etc. while of necessity having to omit something a competitor includes to keep the price point. If your budget as a consumer is fixed at $1000 you'll just have to decide which of the features offered on a unit at that price is most important to you and which you can live without. Do you want horn handles? Then you lose a double wall cook chamber. Do you want wi-fi? Then you lose cook chamber size. None of these $1000 cookers are better or worse. They all come from similar import factories (some from the SAME factory) and are built to the same standards of craftsmanship. You just have to pick your feature trade offs.

Last edited:
When I was researching Pellet cookers and finally decided to buy, my final choice came down to the Camp Chef Woodwind and the RecTec.

For me, the RecTec won in the end.

I chose cooking space and wifi over the sear box. I was convinced the RecTec was a slightly better cooker. (not that there is anything wrong with the Camp Chef)
RecTec has a stellar reputation as cooker and as well as for their customer service. I've had mine just approaching a year now and a few hundred pounds of pellets. Zero complaints and I haven't needed their customer service.

Also, I didn't need the sear box as I have other cookware that'll handle that task just fine.

I watched what seemed like every video on youtube for both cookers. I dont think you can go wrong with the Camp Chef and surely I wouldn't talk you out of it.

Edit: Wifi was a requirement for me.

Last edited:
Yes it does. Also has a trap door to clean out the fire pot.

Which is very handy, but sometimes requires it’s own maintenance. Mine always worked, but I had to clean and lube it (food safe silicone) a couple times to keep it sliding well. Also, as Lynn pointed out, they have a couple models that are essentially the same without a stainless lid and with a different controller if WiFI is not important, but keep in mind that WiFi also allows it to be updated. I strongly recommend staying within the models with Slide N Grill as the chamber is taller than those without.

Well for $300 more you can get a USA made Smoking Brothers Premier 24 with WiFi. Has a heavier welded cart, insulated fire box, pellet dump, ceramic igniter and many other good standard equipment.

My only issue with this unit is that the USA designed and made WiFi Q vue controller is brand new. They had always used a Savannah Stoker controller before, which was one of the better made controllers. I have no knowledge of how the new controller works, but Smokin Bros has always tended to release things when ready, so I would think it is good.

But the Camp Chefs are descent too. I have a camp chef flat top grill that I like. Just like to support a good US company when possible and Smokin Brothers makes good, well built pellet smokers. You do lose the sear station though and it does cost a little more, so theres that.

When I was researching Pellet cookers and finally decided to buy, my final choice came down to the Camp Chef Woodwind and the RecTec.

For me, the RecTec won in the end.

I chose cooking space and wifi over the sear box. I was convinced the RecTec was a slightly better cooker. (not that there is anything wrong with the Camp Chef)
RecTec has a stellar reputation as cooker and as well as for their customer service. I've had mine just approaching a year now and a few hundred pounds of pellets. Zero complaints and I haven't needed their customer service.

Also, I didn't need the sear box as I have other cookware that'll handle that task just fine.

I watched what seemed like every video on youtube for both cookers. I dont think you can go wrong with the Camp Chef and surely I wouldn't talk you out of it.

Edit: Wifi was a requirement for me.

Thanks for the detailed response. I do not have a gas grill so the sear box is a nice addition for me. And from the videos I've watched the WiFi and the phone app look pretty cool.

I think the camp chef cookers look good. I considered one and I think the sear station and the ash cup unscrewing are nice options. So I see no reason to not jump on it if that is the one you are interested in. Oh wait, I don't think I did this talking you out of it thing right.

If you do think you'll use the pellet drop, CampChefs is the best I've had (out of too many pellet grills). Most of the others have a door you put a bucket under, but it's hard to get the bucket in position to not throw a bunch of the pellets everywhere else as the bucket is right up against the legs or grill body, etc. The CampChef has a nice little chute and a bucket hanger on the chute, so pretty much all the pellets go where you want them. It was nice, but I don't drain pellets often, so I think I personally used it twice in 5 months.

Here's some full disclosure to actually try (not very hard) to talk you out of the CampChef. The only real drawback I found to the two CampChefs I've had was the sturdiness of the build. It feels a little flimsier than other grills. The Woodwind was a lot more solid than the SmokePro STX I had, but it's still one of the thinner material products. That being said, I had zero issues with either and never had to test CampChef support for anything. Had I not made the SmokeFire mistake, Id likely still be happily using my Woodwind. I thought about getting another one, but decided I wanted an American made 'lifetime' pellet grill now.

When I first got the Woodwind, the dial on the controller seemed backwards to me like it scrolled the wrong direction, that's pretty trivial and subject to everyone's own expectations as well. You get used to it pretty quickly and then no longer think about it. I never had WiFi problems, but that's a very subjective area as it's all dependent upon your signal strength where the grill will be and it's hard for a company to test against every router out there.

After trying it a couple times, I never used the slide and grill, so I bought and modified a standard flat drip pan. I just had to cut the right side leg or lip (for lack of a better term) to fit the slide and grill rails. The stock tray works fine and can be foiled if desired, I just wanted the smoother surface that would drain better and used the SearBox if I wanted a sear at the end of the cook.

If you don't expect something built like a tank and think you will like or adjust to the pellet grill smoke profile, I think the CampChef's are pretty hard to beat in that price range. There's others that will be of similar performance, but I don't think anything is going to be really any better from a performance standpoint. For exmample, the RecTeqs look like they are going to be more solid, but have fewer features. Like someone mentioned earlier, there's lots of trades. CampChef chooses features over heavier steel. You have to do something to make a profit at $1000, there's a reason the MAKs, Yoders, and Cookshacks are $1500+.

Hope that helps versus just being a long ramble.

If you do think you'll use the pellet drop, CampChefs is the best I've had (out of too many pellet grills). Most of the others have a door you put a bucket under, but it's hard to get the bucket in position to not throw a bunch of the pellets everywhere else as the bucket is right up against the legs or grill body, etc. The CampChef has a nice little chute and a bucket hanger on the chute, so pretty much all the pellets go where you want them. It was nice, but I don't drain pellets often, so I think I personally used it twice in 5 months.

Here's some full disclosure to actually try (not very hard) to talk you out of the CampChef. The only real drawback I found to the two CampChefs I've had was the sturdiness of the build. It feels a little flimsier than other grills. The Woodwind was a lot more solid than the SmokePro STX I had, but it's still one of the thinner material products. That being said, I had zero issues with either and never had to test CampChef support for anything. Had I not made the SmokeFire mistake, Id likely still be happily using my Woodwind. I thought about getting another one, but decided I wanted an American made 'lifetime' pellet grill now.

When I first got the Woodwind, the dial on the controller seemed backwards to me like it scrolled the wrong direction, that's pretty trivial and subject to everyone's own expectations as well. You get used to it pretty quickly and then no longer think about it. I never had WiFi problems, but that's a very subjective area as it's all dependent upon your signal strength where the grill will be and it's hard for a company to test against every router out there.

After trying it a couple times, I never used the slide and grill, so I bought and modified a standard flat drip pan. I just had to cut the right side leg or lip (for lack of a better term) to fit the slide and grill rails. The stock tray works fine and can be foiled if desired, I just wanted the smoother surface that would drain better and used the SearBox if I wanted a sear at the end of the cook.

If you don't expect something built like a tank and think you will like or adjust to the pellet grill smoke profile, I think the CampChef's are pretty hard to beat in that price range. There's others that will be of similar performance, but I don't think anything is going to be really any better from a performance standpoint. For exmample, the RecTeqs look like they are going to be more solid, but have fewer features. Like someone mentioned earlier, there's lots of trades. CampChef chooses features over heavier steel. You have to do something to make a profit at $1000, there's a reason the MAKs, Yoders, and Cookshacks are $1500+.

Hope that helps versus just being a long ramble.

Thanks very much. Very good post. I am still lusting after the Mak 1 but not sure I can justify it over the CampChef.

I am still lusting after the Mak 1 but not sure I can justify it over the CampChef.

Halfway between is the Outlaw OL450 at $1500. Easier to justify and very competitive.

Comparison with the MAK 1 Star:

Auger: MAK - Traeger-style long auger with small motor (easier to jam), Outlaw - Yoder-style 6-inch auger with bigger motor (harder to jam)

Fire pot: MAK - Traeger-style round, Outlaw - Yoder/Louisiana-style V-shape (Some claim the V-shaped fire pot produces more smoke but we need verification with scientifically valid tests)

Cooking space on main level: MAK - 429, Outlaw - 456 (336 on second level)

Construction: MAK - 16 gauge aluminized and 14 gauge stainless, Outlaw - 11 gauge

Paint: MAK - 850° non-renewable powder coat, Outlaw - 1200° renewable high temp stove paint

Ash clean out: MAK - pull out internals (grates, drip pans, heat shields), vacuum, replace internals; Outlaw - open door, vacuum, close door

MAK is great but it has competition.

Halfway between is the Outlaw OL450 at $1500. Easier to justify and very competitive.

Comparison with the MAK 1 Star:

Auger: MAK - Traeger-style long auger with small motor (easier to jam), Outlaw - Yoder-style 6-inch auger with bigger motor (harder to jam)

Fire pot: MAK - Traeger-style round, Outlaw - Yoder/Louisiana-style V-shape (Some claim the V-shaped fire pot produces more smoke but we need verification with scientifically valid tests)

Cooking space on main level: MAK - 429, Outlaw - 456 (336 on second level)

Construction: MAK - 16 gauge aluminized and 14 gauge stainless, Outlaw - 11 gauge

Paint: MAK - 850° non-renewable powder coat, Outlaw - 1200° renewable high temp stove paint

Ash clean out: MAK - pull out internals (grates, drip pans, heat shields), vacuum, replace internals; Outlaw - open door, vacuum, close door

MAK is great but it has competition.

The Outlaw looks like a nice pellet rig, but you have the only one I've ever seen posted, so it's performance and longevity doesn't seem very proven yet. I know you probably don't have the only one in the wild, but doesn't seem like there are many out there. That clean out door actually looks really awesome and convenient.

A couple things to note about your comparisons, however. MAK uses powder coated Aluminized steel. So, if it chips, it still should not rust. As well, I don't see why you couldn't touch up a chip just like you could on a car. As far as capacity an additional full rack can be added to the upper rack slot of the 1 Star essentially doubling the capacity for lower profile items.

The 'Traeger' style auger has been around since, well Traeger. I've had 7 pellet grills with this design and have yet to have an auger jam (knock on wood). If you keep the pellets dry it's pretty problem free. There are advantages/disadvantages to both. Many of the shorter auger units have more problems with even temps across the grilling surface. Not major problems, but often a wider discrepancy on the models with the fire pot at one end.

There are lots of great pellet grills out there, it's really a matter of finding the features you value most on one unit in your price range.

The Outlaw looks like a nice pellet rig, but you have the only one I've ever seen posted, so it's performance and longevity doesn't seem very proven yet. I know you probably don't have the only one in the wild, but doesn't seem like there are many out there. That clean out door actually looks really awesome and convenient.

A couple things to note about your comparisons, however. MAK uses powder coated Aluminized steel. So, if it chips, it still should not rust. As well, I don't see why you couldn't touch up a chip just like you could on a car. As far as capacity an additional full rack can be added to the upper rack slot of the 1 Star essentially doubling the capacity for lower profile items.

The 'Traeger' style auger has been around since, well Traeger. I've had 7 pellet grills with this design and have yet to have an auger jam (knock on wood). If you keep the pellets dry it's pretty problem free. There are advantages/disadvantages to both. Many of the shorter auger units have more problems with even temps across the grilling surface. Not major problems, but often a wider discrepancy on the models with the fire pot at one end.

There are lots of great pellet grills out there, it's really a matter of finding the features you value most on one unit in your price range.

Good points all. I'll spread the word if my Outlaw proves unreliable. Meanwhile, here's a link to a chef in south Texas who has my cooker's $1600 big brother and seems to like it a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWqNUDaH4Yd7RJgeSXE9LhA

Thanks very much. Very good post. I am still lusting after the Mak 1 but not sure I can justify it over the CampChef.

That's a really tough decision. I kept telling myself I couldn't justify it either and bought and sold a bunch of sub $1000 over the past 10 years looking for a premium pellet grill at a non premium price. I do not have my MAK yet, so I can only share what I expect to get for the price difference:

Supporting American
Lifetime Warranty
Sturdy high end construction with better materials designed to last
Better controller - proven controller that's been around a long time now
Stainless steel cooking grates and other cook chamber internals
Expectations of a better smoke profile than many of the $1000 range grills
Better performance in cold/wind due to better construction and the flame zone design

Other minor features that helped with MAK over other brands:
No hanging drip pan
No smoke stack
Roaming RTD (grill temp sensor)
I keep my grills covered when not in use and both of the first two items are a major pain in the rear. I've knocked grease buckets off several times and it's not fun to clean up.

As far as the final cooking result, I'm not expecting that much different other than being able to do some degree of searing on the MAK. I'm hoping the claims for a better smoke profile are accurate too. However, I bet in a blind taste test of something like ribs or a pork butt I wouldn't be able to tell MAK vs CampChef cooked food unless that smoke profile is crazy more on a MAK.

Back