THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JohnMcD348

is Blowin Smoke!
I know there's been alot of threads here but please bear with me. As you guys know, I'm getting ready to do my first Comp close to the end of the year. I looked over the lists I could find and compiled my own list. I'd appreciate it if you pros would look it over and tell me what I need to add.

Thanks

Competition Checklist:

Comfort Setup:
Tables (2)
EZ Up (1-2)
Chairs (3-4)
Loungers with sleeping bags/pads
Fan or Heater

Cooking:
Cookers
Charcoal Chimney and starter setup
cooling racks

Aluminum pans
Lump Charcoal
Hardwood Logs, Sticks and Chunks
Heat-Resistant Gloves
Leather Welding Gloves

A large clock
Cutting boards
150 Quart ice chest (for the meat)
Smaller Coolers (drinks and such) (2)
Cutting boards
Meat Thermometers
Fire extinguisher
Cooking Utensils (Knives, Tongs, Tweezers)
Spices, Rubs, Sauces

Cleanup:
Wash basins (3)
Dishrags
Paper Towels
Kitchen disinfecting wipes
Spray cleaner
Heavy duty trash bags
Shovel
Metal ash bucket.

Plastic wrap and aluminum foil
Paper towels

Garbage pail and garbage bags.
Dishwashing liquid
Bleach

Ziploc bags

Miscellaneous:
First aid kit
Water Connecter/ Splitter
Extension Cord
Lights

Here's a few you may or may not need

Extra clothes
Your favorite toilet paper
Hose
rope
bug spray
radio/cd player
lighter/matches
misc. tools (string, scissors, pocket knife)
scrub brush to make cleaning utensils easier
small bowls/tupperware
Apron(s)
paper plates,cups,utensils for any other misc. eating/cooking
spray bottles (if you spray your meats)

Tables....I would go with at least three. You need one for your washing station alone. Make sure you have a counter level table for your prep work or be prepared for some back pain.

One small cooler and towels to wrap your briskets and keep warm like a food storage device like a Cambro.
If power is supplied...you will need a light for your ez up to keep area light during nite time hours. Dont forget 3 way splitter plug and a couple of extension cords.
Do you have a camp stove w/pots and pans for heating water and feeding the team? Propane for the stove or other fuel?
Never attend a competition w/o a bottle of Gold Bond Powder. Expierence has taught me that. Rash relief..................
A radio and flashlight...as well as a notepad for making keeping track of when meats go on the pit. When to turn ect. Also have more than one timepiece to make your turn in times.
Greens for your turn in boxes?
Im sure ive missed something but think like your going camping in the boonies..........better to have and not need, then to need and not have.

One thing I learned my first few contests that REALLY helped was a color coded (by meat category) timeline. I kept it on a clipboard around me at all times. I was taught by some of our brothers here to start at turn-in time for each category and work backwards through what needed to be done for each and then combine them in one timeline. It REALLY helped keep me focused on what I needed to accomplish at what times. I don't use it any longer but I highly recommend all new teams having one to carry along their first few contests.

Im sure ive missed something but think like your going camping in the boonies..........better to have and not need, then to need and not have.

You know, I keep trying to tell people this when they laugh at the arsenal of CRAP I bring along but I'm not winning! LOL! And everytime clean up time rolls around after the last turn-in, I think maybe the naysayers are right. But I know what you mean, Bull! If they make it, odds are I have it at a comp! LOL!

Flashlight
5-Gallon Water Container and/or Quality Hose
Advil,Tylenol
Pepcid AC, Tums, Rolaids
Disposable Gloves
Garnish
BOOZE
Jumper Cables
Full & half size foil pans
In the event of Rain Misc
Heat Blanket(Like Pizza Delivery case)for turn-ins
More BOOZE & More ICE

Some other stuff I have on my list: Sunblock, brushes for sauce, twine, duct tape, ear plugs, corkscrew, cigars, cups/glasses, paper plates & cutlery, table leg extensions, fat Sharpie, hats and as mentioned earlier, don't forget the toilet paper! I also take along a bunch of packs of alcohol wipes to clean the Thermapen after each use. You buy them at a pharmacy for a couple of bucks for a grillion.

You might add pvc to lift a table up to work height. Also, if you have a generator you can use and have room for it, it wouldn't hurt in case there's no power (you can usually find out ahead of time). We take clorox wipes to sanitize everything. And we do a project plan in Microsoft Project that I keep copies around for everything, like Jeff said, working back from turn in times, with slack time for slow cooks or emergencies.

Oh, and once you get everything together and do your practice run, etc., put half of it back then try it again! We started with boatloads of stuff, and we try to take a little less each time now.

Back