Still having some brisket issues...

mjr

Knows what a fatty is.
I'm obviously doing something wrong. I just don't know what.

The last couple of times I've made a brisket on my WSM, it hasn't been as tender as I'd like, and the bark is far tougher than I'd like.

I think last time I did a brisket, I did a small one, somewhere in the neighborhood of five or six pounds, so we're talking about an eight hour cook, or thereabouts. I generally go 75 to 90 minutes per pound. I haven't tried wrapping it after a few hours, like I've heard some people do ("Texas Crutch" or whatever it's called).

I went with hickory and cherry. It tasted fine.

I cooked it at 250ºF, and used a Pitmaster IQ for some temperature control, and I'm still having issues.

Any tips?

Is the entire bark tough or just the bottom? If the entire bark is tough, I’d say not enough fat to keep it moist. Maybe try spritzing to keep the brisket moist as it cooks. Leave at least 1/8” fat cap on as well. I’m not totally sure, though. I always buy prime at Sams. The price is negligible compared to choice. I always wrap in butcher paper as well. Never tried a brisket without wrapping. As far as not being completely tender, let it keep cooking a little longer until it probes as tender as you like.

Bludawgs KISS method (which you can find by searching this forum) turns out the perfect brisket on the WSM every time. I do often find in need an extra hour when wrapped for it to be done than what he recommends.

5-6lb brisket sounds more like just part of a brisket. Are you by chance cooking just a flat? If so, that might be harder to nail. You talk of a certain amount of time per pound cooking, but did you monitor the internal temperature to see what you are at and then use the “probe test” to check texture to dictate when it’s “done”? If you’re just making an assumption of “so many minutes per pound”, it’ll probably just be luck if you happen to pull it when it’s achieved the proper level of doneness. It sounds to me like you’re undercooking it based on your “tough” description.

Time per pound with a brisket or anything for that matter isn't the best way to go about.

If you are just cooking a flat, once it reaches 160° internal, wrap it up with a little beef broth and let it ride until it probes tender. Usually anywhere between 200°-208°.

I'd try cooking a whole packer brisket using the above method.

Flats usually have no fat at all to keep it moist. Wrap it!

I've been killing brisket lately. Last one I did was a 7lb choice quality flat. Providing pics so you can see what the grate/pan looks like.

- Trim the silver skin from the meat side
- Trim the fat on the other side to 1/4" or so (do the best you can)
- Season both sides with salt & pepper (like in pic #1 below)
- I do mine at 225°
- Put it on grate fat side down (so when you slice, the sexy smoke ring is at the top)
- I cook it on a grate with a drip pan far underneath it so it doesn't mess with airflow
- When it reaches 170°, I put it on a grate in the drip pan that has been underneath it. (Grate example in pic #2 below)
- You'll notice the bark isn't totally dark just yet as seen in pic #2 below
- I then pour beef stock in the bottom of the drip pan
- Grate is so the meat is lifted up and doesn't sit in the beef stock or drippings
- I wrap the whole kit and kaboodle with foil and put it back in until it reaches 199°
- I then start testing for probe tenderness. I want a tiny bit of resistance.
- When it is to the tenderness I like, I re-wrap the whole pan and put it in a cambro, or faux-cambro
- Let it sit for 4 hrs if possible
- Pull the brisket out and you'll notice the bark has darkened up nicely as in pics 3 & 4.
- Slice and enjoy

EylHjNoWgAEqFWk

Eym7j_wWEAM3JWY

Eys8rfBWEAMrxtY

EysjQYGXIAQQgXJ

I've been killing brisket lately. Last one I did was a 7lb choice quality flat. Providing pics so you can see what the grate/pan looks like.

- Trim the silver skin from the meat side
- Trim the fat on the other side to 1/4" or so (do the best you can)
- Season both sides with salt & pepper (like in pic #1 below)
- I do mine at 225°
- Put it on grate fat side down (so when you slice, the sexy smoke ring is at the top)
- I cook it on a grate with a drip pan far underneath it so it doesn't mess with airflow
- When it reaches 170°, I put it on a grate in the drip pan that has been underneath it. (Grate example in pic #2 below)
- You'll notice the bark isn't totally dark just yet as seen in pic #2 below
- I then pour beef stock in the bottom of the drip pan
- Grate is so the meat is lifted up and doesn't sit in the beef stock or drippings
- I wrap the whole kit and kaboodle with foil and put it back in until it reaches 199°
- I then start testing for probe tenderness. I want a tiny bit of resistance.
- When it is to the tenderness I like, I re-wrap the whole pan and put it in a cambro, or faux-cambro
- Let it sit for 4 hrs if possible
- Pull the brisket out and you'll notice the bark has darkened up nicely as in pics 3 & 4.
- Slice and enjoy

EylHjNoWgAEqFWk

Eym7j_wWEAM3JWY

Eys8rfBWEAMrxtY

EysjQYGXIAQQgXJ

Yes sir, I'd say you got it down, nice brisket

Just wondering where all the folks are that say cooking low and slow dries brisket out??? :cool:

Is the entire bark tough or just the bottom? If the entire bark is tough, I’d say not enough fat to keep it moist.

It's the entire bark that's tough.

5-6lb brisket sounds more like just part of a brisket. Are you by chance cooking just a flat? If so, that might be harder to nail. You talk of a certain amount of time per pound cooking, but did you monitor the internal temperature to see what you are at and then use the “probe test” to check texture to dictate when it’s “done”?

I've monitored it with a probe thermometer before, with similar results. The reason we go smaller is that there's just 3 of us in my family, and my wife doesn't want me cooking things overnight. She's not used to people making barbecue where the smoker runs all night. I've tried telling her it's safe, but she's not really convinced. Hence, we usually cook smaller ones. And on days we do, I usually start a little late in the morning (7AM ish).

Time per pound with a brisket or anything for that matter isn't the best way to go about.

If you are just cooking a flat, once it reaches 160° internal, wrap it up with a little beef broth and let it ride until it probes tender. Usually anywhere between 200°-208°.

Might have to get some butcher paper and try that...

Back