Southern pride spk-500 vs Ole hickory equivalent?

D

Dr. Smoke Bbq

I'm fixing to purchase a BBQ vending/catering trailer from fusion custom trailers (fct). They are all aluminum and the cats meow of trailers from what I have seen when compared to ATC, freedom, and brands alike. I will be doing all of my smoking of briskets, pork Butts, and ribs on this pit which will be mounted on the porch. My camphouse will be renovated to be my commissary and main prep area when our barndominium is finished. To those that have owned or cooked on these models or brands I would like to hear some of your opinions. I just sold my Tiffin zephyr bus, and competition BBQ rig which also had a Ole hickory cto and it ran flawless when I needed it. I have been told by several of my friends that the southern pride will use much less propane, like less than half. I'm still up in the air on which one I want. I'm guessing there is no wrong choice here eh?

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't have the answers to your questions...but, will you adopt me? Pretty please? ;-)

I have a spk 550 (or maybe 500?) and ten gallons of fuel will last me between 40 and 50 hrs of cook time. Mine is about 8- 10 years old and have been told the older the better on insulation.Don't know if that rumor has any merit though. Love this machine, but, don't have personal experience with ole hickory to offer a comparison.

Back