Smoked Meatloaf and Mac N Cheese

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
Some mid-week comfort food, what better than Smoked Meatloaf and Mac N Cheese?

The Meatloaf recipe is from the ThermoWorks website.

https://blog.thermoworks.com/beef/smoked-meatloaf-for-the-tailgate/

The Mac N Cheese recipe is the one I've used for many years, has always been a hit with family and friends.

http://smoke-n-brew.blogspot.com/2009/10/mac-n-cheese.html

Keep in mind I never follow recipes exactly, so the Meatloaf today consisted of a Ground Turkey, Ground Pork, Ground Beef mixture. All were pretty lean, I should have used a fattier ground beef but it is what it is. I won't bore you with mixing details but I do use the Potato Chips as an ingredient. And rather than put the Chilis in Adobo sauce in the glaze I add some to the meat mixture to give it a bit of a kick.

The Meatloaf out on the Weber Kettle indirect (yep, those are the potato chips which I should probably crush a bit finer but in the end it really doesn't matter) -

After about an hour, grill temps were running about 300 a bit higher than I would have liked, but it still worked fine -

And after a glaze was applied (Sweet Baby Ray's, honey, Adobo sauce), allowing it to smoke for a bit more time -

Meanwhile I was preparing the Mac N Cheese in the Lodge Dutch oven. I always vary the cheeses, all depends on how I feel at the market. Today's cheeses were Sharp Cheddar, Yellow Cheddar, Monterey Jack and Gouda. The Goldens' was last used with the divider plate so the Dutch oven is on the indirect side with the grill running around 350. Just placed out on the grill, it looks very white from the layer of Parmesan on the top (not sure if the phone had triggered the flash) -

Meatloaf taking a rest -

Mac N Cheese taking on some color -

The slices look pretty dense and there isn't much juice due to the lean cuts of ground meat, but there is a bit of a smoke ring -

When I was reviewing a Weber Kettle Meatloaf recipe, one thing they do at the Weber Kettle restaurants is place the slices back on the grill with the glaze. Great idea, that will add some moisture and more importantly, some visual appeal. Since the Weber was already shut down and cooling, I used the hot side on the Goldens' -

Much better!

Plated with the Mac N Cheese and a Sweet Potato -

There's plenty left over for sandwiches for the next few days.

Thanks for checking out tonight's dinner!

Regards,
-lunchman

That meal looks fark'n fantastic. It's been a while since I've done a smoked meatloaf. Lunchman, you have given me inspiration!!

That meal looks fark'n fantastic. It's been a while since I've done a smoked meatloaf. Lunchman, you have given me inspiration!!

Just paying it forward since I got the inspiration from a meatloaf post in the Weber Kettle Club forum. :-D

I used to make meatloaf in a pan but the oil buildup wasn't too appealing. And forget about making it in the oven ever again, it's so much better out on the grill. Sorry Mom.

Back