Smoked cheese for the year

pz

Every year about this time I start thinking about smoking cheese for the next year. The batch in these photos from last year lasted about a year, and every time I do the smoke, I try to refine which cheeses to smoke based on what friends and family likes. I still have four packets of cheese left, some of which were from the year before

The method:
  1. I like to smoke cheese on a cool fall day because you can always turn up the temperature, but turning it down is not a viable option.
  2. The smoker was kept at about 80 degrees with an Auber PID, which helps prevent the oils (sweat) from accumulating on the surface. Surface oils absorb the acrid smoke flavors that people say gives the cheese an ashtray like flavor.
  3. Six pecan pucks were used for a two-hour run time (the PID controls the smoke time automatically). I like to use the Bradley because it extinguishes the pucks before they start off-gassing unpleasant ash flavors.
  4. After smoking, the cheese is laid out on the counter for until it cools to the touch, then it is vacuum sealed Stored in the refrigerator for about a month before serving, I have stored cheeses for two or more years with great success.
The cheeses:
  • Costco Gouda was the favorite last year
  • I tried a C&C Gouda, but it was only okay - not great - will not do it again
  • C&C Havarti was very tasty, creamy, and became one of my favorites this year - definitely more on the next batch which is coming up soon
  • The sharp cheddar also from C&C was too salty for general eating, but was good for cooking - will likely not do this again
  • Costco Yancey's horseradish cheddar was a huge hit with my wife and friends - I thought it okay, but still like the Gouda and Havarti better
  • Costco Tilamook sharp cheddar was an excellent eating cheese - perfect for cheese trays.

Attachments

• cheese0.jpg
    cheese0.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 352
  • cheese1.jpg
    cheese1.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 349
  • cheese2.jpg
    cheese2.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 349
  • cheese3.jpg
    cheese3.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 349
  • cheese4.jpg
    cheese4.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 349
Yup I'm anxious to smoke more cheese, I've been out for awhile now. My favorite is the grill cheese sandwiches made from home smoked cheese.

Yup I'm anxious to smoke more cheese, I've been out for awhile now. My favorite is the grill cheese sandwiches made from home smoked cheese.

I know what you mean - here's a sandwich with a blend of smoked cheeses, and there is a crust of melted/crisped cheese on the bread slices as well - makes for a perfect smooth yet crisp sammie

Attachments

• cheese.jpg
    cheese.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 334
Oh that is cruel as I'm out of cheese and it's too warm here to smoke more.
That is one delicious looking sammie of perfection.

• Thanks
Reactions: pz
Nice!

I'm waiting for the weather to cool and I'm already collecting cheese for the year's smoke. :-D

• Thanks
I prefer the outside temp to be 50 or below to cold smoke - the cheese won't sweat. I use an AMNPS maze and just let the smoke roll for a couple of hours.

Looks great. Tillamook brand is my go-to cheese, and my Sams Club carries 2-1/2 pound bricks for the same price as other markets charge for the Tillamook 2 pound bricks. The 4 I like the best are the Extra Sharp Cheddar (yellow, not the white) in the black wrapping, the Sharp Cheddar in the red wrapping, their Pepper Jack, and their Colby Jack. I've done 10 pounds since our nights are really cooling down, it's supposed to be in the low 30's again this weekend, so that's cold enough to do a batch of butter...

EBBf4wA.jpg

I've never smoked cheese, but...now I want to. Thanks! Do you just aim to smoke without getting too hot? I wonder if I could just light my smoke box for my pellet cooker without turning the unit on? Maybe put a big bowl of ice in the chamber to keep temps low?

Great spread! I've got 10 pounds of 12+ month aged gouda that's waiting for some cool weather to smoke. I'll be adding another 15-20 pounds of other varieties to use for the holidays, and carry us thru awhile. I love fall for cold smoking!

• Thanks
Looks great. Tillamook brand is my go-to cheese, and my Sams Club carries 2-1/2 pound bricks for the same price as other markets charge for the Tillamook 2 pound bricks. The 4 I like the best are the Extra Sharp Cheddar (yellow, not the white) in the black wrapping, the Sharp Cheddar in the red wrapping, their Pepper Jack, and their Colby Jack. I've done 10 pounds since our nights are really cooling down, it's supposed to be in the low 30's again this weekend, so that's cold enough to do a batch of butter...

EBBf4wA.jpg
Please tell us more of this butter

I prefer the outside temp to be 50 or below to cold smoke - the cheese won't sweat. I use an AMNPS maze and just let the smoke roll for a couple of hours.

Same here and as we already had some cold nights, I smoked some cheese a week or so ago. Smoke them for about 10hours, then let them rest for at least 24hours in the fridge in ziplock bags. After that, don't blink 'cause it'll all be gone pronto.

I'm the same as you gents - prefer the cooler weather to better control the smoking temperature.

Blowin' Smoke - I've never tried smoking cheese in the pellet cooker, but it is worth a try with a small batch. If it doesn't melt then it was probably a success, and even if it does, have a big cheese fondue :biggrin1:

What temp do you want to keep the cooker at when smoking? I know you obviously want it below the melting point but is their a danger zone to avoid? This post has me dead set on cold smoking cheese. Im thinking my mini WSM would be great for this with AMNPS as I can bury the AMNPS under a pizza stone to block heat

What temp do you want to keep the cooker at when smoking? I know you obviously want it below the melting point but is their a danger zone to avoid? This post has me dead set on cold smoking cheese. Im thinking my mini WSM would be great for this with AMNPS as I can bury the AMNPS under a pizza stone to block heat

That's a good plan - I've not done it myself, but I've read where others have done so effectively. I personally keep the temperature at about 75-80 degrees which is what appears to work the best for my smoker. Others do a lower temperature, but I have found that to take on the best tasting smoke and only need to smoke for 2-3 hours, the approximate 75 degree range works the best - I get good smoke, doesn't take long, and helps prevent the ashtray taste.

Also, cutting the cheese thickness is a factor - thinner means more smoky, and too thick means that the center will result in a very mild cheese because the smoke does not penetrate to the center.

That's a good plan - I've not done it myself, but I've read where others have done so effectively. I personally keep the temperature at about 75-80 degrees which is what appears to work the best for my smoker. Others do a lower temperature, but I have found that to take on the best tasting smoke and only need to smoke for 2-3 hours, the approximate 75 degree range works the best - I get good smoke, doesn't take long, and helps prevent the ashtray taste.

Also, cutting the cheese thickness is a factor - thinner means more smoky, and too thick means that the center will result in a very mild cheese because the smoke does not penetrate to the center.

Thank you for the info!

The cooler the better. I use an AMNPS in my Assassin with the fire box door open to bring in the cool air. The warmest I've seen my smoker doing this was 60 degrees. I smoke for about 2 to 3 hours and get plenty of smoke on the cheese.

Just don't sample the cheese right after the smoke and expect Nirvana - it will taste like an ash tray. Vac seal it and let it mellow in the fridge for about 2 to 3 weeks. THEN - it will be Nirvana. :-D

Back